TechSpot

motherboard audio and sound card

By bratlever
Dec 18, 2005
  1. How do I create a profile to use the motherboard out for one set of speakers and then create a second profile to use the output of my soundcard to my stereo system? I'm using XP Pro and a Lynx2b.

2. mastronaut

mastronaut TS Enthusiast Posts: 185

Sound Fix

I went to Radio Shack and picked up an adapter which converts 1/4 single (male) stereo into left/right channel outputs (female), then you can use regular stereo patch chord to the back of the amp. Now I have seperate volume control for both front and rear. It cost me about 10 bucks.

3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

See if anyone else has a better solution, but the only way I can think of to do this is to have a multiple OS installation. And even in doing that I am not sure it would work. It should, but I as I have never tried that myself...

Like I said, hang out for a bit and see what some others say.

Cheers!

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Maybe this will work. Create another profile in Win XP & in one of them, disable ur sound card & in the other, disable ur onboard card. That should get it to work.

5. Ruben

Ruben TS Rookie Posts: 105

it depends on the add-on soundcard. In some cases onboard sound has to be switched off in BIOS period. Or you can get away with that for some time, but then you may get sound-crashes. I had that once trying to use Chaintech av710 with onboard realtek ac97. Creating hardware profiles is still the option. Is your add-on card stereo only? If it has more then just 1 stereo output you could use only this card and ditch onboard alltogether...

6. bratlever

bratlever TS Rookie Topic Starter

Gentlemen. Thanks for the help. I was able to create seperate profiles for the onboard audio and then the sound card. I reenabled the onboard audio, loaded the drivers and it was off to the races. Thanks again. Nickl

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.