Motherboard + current RAM compatibility

Atham

Hello,

I am thinking about getting the GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3 mobo for the AMD FX series CPUs. I am not sure if my RAM will be compatible with it. Is there a way to find out? Here is my CPU-Z

Thanks

Memory support list here. Opens as PDF.

I doubt your RAM would work, the lowest speed listed on the Memory support list for that motherboard is DDR3 1066. To be honest its rather slow anyway, you want to be considering DDR3 1600 or higher.

I know about the compatibility list, I just don't know what number it is. I know about the lowest speed, I just don't understand the numbers and the RAM amounts. Am I supposed to look at the 4GB or 2GB as my RAM is 2x2GB?

That memory support list is a tad confusing in all fairness to you. The 4GB refers to each individual stick, not the total amount. So you need to be looking at 2GB in the list if your going for 2x 2GB matched RAM.

The number is the part no of the memory stick. You match that to the part number of the RAM you wish to purchase, which will guarantee for you that the RAM is known to work perfectly with the motherboard.

EDIT: Its not your RAM. Your RAM is DDR3-8500, which isn't even on the list. You will be needing new RAM in all likelihood.

Oh. What RAM would you recommend. Nothing too expensive, and up to 4 GB only as I have Windows 7 32 bit.

I'd recommend you wait, because you should be looking at 8GB with that sort of setup, and 64 bit Windows. Given the hardware, 64bit will run faster as its all designed to work with 64bit.

It is pretty essential really, as you get better performance from hardware running 64 bit these days. Even with 4GB of RAM you'd see an improvement with 64 bit all round.

RAM is also dirt cheap right now, your talking less than £50 for 8GB matched kits. It was £100 or more a year ago.

Which kit would you recommend? The price range up to about 60 Euros.

BTW, is the KINGSTON 8GB KIT DDR3 1333MHz CL9 good?

Kingston RAM is good. As is Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, and many others I've not mentioned.

But get DDR3-1600, its faster and the price difference is negligible.

I've not looked. I said its a better choice if its on the memory support list.

Frankly any RAM on the memory support list is going to be a wise investment, but you want to aim for DDR3-1600 to take advantage of its extra performance.

This Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 CL8 is on the approved list. If you still plan on overclocking you might want to consider it, the XMS3 will also work but is a bit more expensive.

Back