Motherboard green led on but no power when button is pressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, i bought a asus P5V800-MX mobo yesterday and i am positive i set the front panel connectors right for the case, but when i try to press the power button nothing turns on, but the green led on the mobo is lit. what is wrong? thanks chris

All the green light means is that there is 5 volts standby power!!!!

Do you get anything happen at all when you press the power button????

Are you absolutely %100 sure the front panel connectors are correct????

One thing you can try is unplugging the power switch from your mobo then VERY CAREFULLY shorting the 2 pins with something conductive!!!!

yeah i followed exactly to the manual, but ive noticed that there is a small arrow at one of the sides, is that the ground slot?

Not exactly sure what you mean???? It doesn't matter which way round you put the power switch connections as they are not "handed", it only matters with the led's (if you put them on wrong you wont do any damage, the led's just wont light up)!!!!

so i just place the flat head over the two pins for the power led not the switch?

Short whichever pins the power switch plugs into. If it starts, then you have a faulty power switch. Also make sure nothing is grounding out your mobo. A good thing to try is take everything out of the case, and lay it on a table. Then try to power it up. Also, take out both sticks of ram and see if it starts up, and then hear beeps. Also if you have more then one stick, try just one stick and change the socket that its in.

If you want to try what Twite suggests and power the mobo outside of the case, i suggest you place it on top of the anti static bag it came in!!!!

I've had a similar problem over the past two days and wondering if it is the Mobo or the PSU?

When I connect my power cable the standby LED on my motherboard comes on. However when I hit the power switch on the front, absolutely nothing happens, no fan spinning, no beeping, nothing. I tried circumventing the powerswitch by short circuiting the two pins but with exactly the same result.

So before I go out and buy a new PSU or Mobo I was wondering if someone could take an educated guess as to which one is broken.

Asus P5WD2 Premium Intel 955X (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 supporting HT Technology - 2MB L2 Cache 3.2 Ghz
4Gb Crucial CT2KIT12864AA667
2 X Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI
Zalman CNPS7700-CU Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail
Pioneer DVR-110DBK 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black) OEM
Philips DVDR1640 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Unfortunately I don't have the make but it is a 550W PSU. My suspicion is that it is the PSU. I seem to remember having a similar issue a while ago where the LED was on (which only shows a 5V power for standby) but had very little to no power when I switched on the machine.

I've had this PC for about 15 months and it worked fine till 2 days ago. Nothing was changed, the PC wasn't moved, wasn't bumped or anything so I don't think it is a problem with the earthing of the mobo. I play World of Warcraft a lot and it isn't uncommon for my PSU fan to switch on while I play and run for a while.

So my suspicion is PSU but I am not ruling out mobo.

Mobo LED light on but system not turning on

I am having a similar problem with my computer
first off its custom built
I have gone through 3 mobos already so im suspecting that i have burnt a 4th mobo if so is there something that i could be doing wrong each time?
I try to make sure that the mobo is spaced properly i dont see any spot where it could be grounding to the case but maybe ive done something wrong with that.
anywho back to the problem at hand:
I have a MSI mainboard P6N SLI
two nVidia geforce 9600 GT mfctd by MSI
A P4 775 3.6 Ghz
4 GB ddr2 ram 667-i think its 667 watever it is its compatible with my mobo i checkd
they are kingston hyper X in case thats important
A prudent way PSU 550 W

When i have everything connected, I hit the power switch and the fans flicker for a half second then it doesnt turn on

So i tried taking it down to the bare bone
I reseated everything including the CPU
I took it down to one Ram stick
connected up one graphics card and made sure to change it back from SLI mode
with this setup I still have the same problem :( the fans spin for a split second then stop

EDIT: sorry for reviving a dead thread, but it was wat pulled up in a google search :<

Mobo LED light on but system not turning on

I am having a similar problem with my computer
first off its custom built
I have gone through 3 mobos already so im suspecting that i have burnt a 4th mobo if so is there something that i could be doing wrong each time?
I try to make sure that the mobo is spaced properly i dont see any spot where it could be grounding to the case but maybe ive done something wrong with that.
anywho back to the problem at hand:
I have a MSI mainboard P6N SLI
two nVidia geforce 9600 GT mfctd by MSI
A P4 775 3.6 Ghz
4 GB ddr2 ram 667-i think its 667 watever it is its compatible with my mobo i checkd
they are kingston hyper X in case thats important
A prudent way PSU 550 W

When i have everything connected, I hit the power switch and the fans flicker for a half second then it doesnt turn on

So i tried taking it down to the bare bone
I reseated everything including the CPU
I took it down to one Ram stick
connected up one graphics card and made sure to change it back from SLI mode
with this setup I still have the same problem :( the fans spin for a split second then stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back