Motherboard - i7 for MS Server 2008 64-bit (No Xeon)

By Phil Tate
Mar 10, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. I have a machine I want to build for a customer where there will be only about 5 users. Don't want to spend the cash for a true server motherboard vs one supporting an i7 processor. I have a new copy of MS 2008 64-bit Small Business Server that I am going to use. My challenge has been NIC drivers that would work. Someone know from experience a Gigabyte/Asus/MSI board (preferably I guess) that would fit the bill?

Thx in advance!
  2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,530   +288

Ever consider a refurb? Some carry multi-year warranties.
  3. Phil Tate

Phil Tate TS Rookie Topic Starter

A zeon motherboard/processor combo? No I haven't. Never dealt with refurbs before. Skeptical although nothing to base the attitude on. Just a concern about it's age and stability. But with a multi-year warranty it would change an attitude quickly.

Good place to look?
  4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,530   +288

Umm, google? Try your preferred flavor (Dell, HP, etc). I did Dell and there were ads from 1/2 dozen vendors - including Dell itself.

If you had a good spare CPU, you might consider a multi-port RJ45 NIC from Intel (or any of 30 others - but driver support is important).

5 users should not be too much of a burden if this is just general business use. It depends on what the server is expected to deliver with what kind of responsiveness.

Hopefully, some others will concur with my opinion (I am not a network IT expert).
  5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help. This definitely will put me in the right direction.