Motherboard light on, but no powerup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tonight my computer randomly shut down. When I tried turning the power back on it just "blinked" (the case has blue lights that come on when it is powered, looks cool i guess) for a split second and nothing. When I hit the power button again absolutely nothing. All the while the green LED on the motherboard is on as well as the network card so I know the motherboard is receiving power.

I then unplugged the entire system for about 10 minutes and tried turning on the system again. Same result as before...blinks and nothing followed by the power switch doing absolutely nothing. I thought perhaps the power switch was faulty so I switched it with the reset key on the motherboard and the same as before: a blink followed by nothing.

I've been reading on some of these forums that it may be a faulty power supply. If it is faulty then why does the motherboard show that it has power? The power supply I have now is the one that comes with the case (Apevia X-navigator 500W) and I am using the Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard. I do have a Graphics processor and the usual 4MB memory and have had no issues with power shortage in the past.

Hoping for a little advice or maybe even someone who has experienced this before and found a solution. Anything is welcome.

Thanks,
RJ

You can buy a power supply tester for about $10. There are several circuits that are tested... if any one of them goes out, the entire power supply is a dead done deal. These simple power supply testers available at Cyber Guys, CompUsa, Frys Outpost, and others, give you visual indicators for all circuits.

ASUS SLI boards are more demanding, particularly if you are a gamer, or do a lot of graphic design work. A great deal of the problem is created by the video graphics card demands.
What is needed is not necessarily more power in wattage, but higher quality power supplies... with constant output.
As for no problems in the past, think of them as like light bulbs. They all burn out after a while. We have the Apevia on our list of Tier 5 for unacceptable performance, so there must have been more than a few problems with them.
Take a look at the very good recommended power supplies list on this forum in a recent post, or take a look at the recommendations, by brand, at www.tomshardware.com.

All the led on the mobo tells you is that the +5volts standby rail is working, nothing more. It it an extremely common misconception that lit led means good psu and it surely doesnt.

There are lots of other voltages put out by the psu, it only takes 1 of them to malfunction and you have a faulty psu.

I'm not saying this is your problem for certain, im just saying dont rule it out because 1 led works.

Problem Solved!

It was in fact the PSU. When I pulled it out there was actually something rattling around in the unit. Replaced it and am up and running again. Now my bulb burned out in my DLP TV, bad luck I guess.

Thanks for all the posts!
RJ

Um Tedster, the issue is sorted, it was a faulty psu and the pc is now working fine with a replacement one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back