TechSpot

Motherboard overheating issue

By Serelitz
Jun 12, 2010
  1. MY PC is pretty old, from around 2003 I think. This problem's been around for a while, but I always thought it was someho0w related to my graphics card ( since the fan on it didn't work) but now I've finally replaced it and the problem persists.

I've looked around some, and apparently it's a problem with the motherboard / chipset (or a combination). Specs are as follows:

MSI MS-7046 motherboard
    Intel i915p chipset
    ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics card
    2x 512 DDR-SDRAM memory
    Intel P4 540 @ 3.2 GHz

I've checked around in the BIOS, but the options appear to be hidden, so I can't check the PC health or anything. The temperature that CPUID reports is a staggering 66 degrees, which doesn't seem realistic.

The system reboots if I start doing anything graphically intense (mostly gaming). Is there any solution or is this just a crap mobo and the only solution is replacing it?

rebels havenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000524 appears to describe my problem pretty accurately (found it by searching around some), but no solution. I put some spaces in the link because apparently I'm not supposed to post links.

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Which temperature does CPUID reveal as 66c? Random reboots are a sign of an overheating CPU. I suggest you check that the HSF is firmly attached. If it is, try re-applying the thermal interface material.

3. Serelitz

Serelitz TS Rookie Topic Starter

The processor temperature is 66 degrees, and that's only at ~5% usage. I do have to note that this specific CPU is infamous for the heating. The fan is properly and I'm not too sure what you mean by thermal interface. I also regularly dust my PC with a pressurized air pump as well as refreshing the thermal paste. I really think this is some kind of hardware specific problem, or something in the BIOS.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.