TechSpot

Motherboard Start-up Issues

By simcrazy5000
May 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an old motherboard from My grandparents old computer that we all think that the power supply was fried. anyway, I got all of the other parts from it too and I put it into a new box. Whenever I plug it in it makes a high pitched ringing noise. This, I believe is because I don't have the power switch pluged in the right place on the motherboard. It is a an Old Dell motherboard with an Intel chipset. Like I said before I threw away the old box with no Intention of rebuilding it but It turned out that i needed to. What I'm really asking is where it's supposed to plug in OR what the ringing is really from. or both. Both is good too.

I was trying to put a picture on to this message of the motherboard onto this message, of coarse it won't work.
    I decided what the hay, I'll make it work so I put the pic onto my website click on the link to see it.
    Thanks
    Nick
    www.nickschiwy.com/MB
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

What psu are you trying to power it from? Chances are you need a dell psu and not a generic one. Both the 20 pin molex and the white single row connector (i think they call it P3) need to be connected for it to work.
    Also, putting a mobo on carpet is a baaaaad idea, as carpet holds static electricity.
    If you need further help i have a couple of old dell optiplex gx110's that i can open up and check voltages on if thats any help.
  3. simcrazy5000

simcrazy5000 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Is the PSU the power supply? because if it is it is VERY generic...i bought it at a salvage house. anyway, i forgot to mention that it was from an old dimension desktop. Thanks
  4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Yup, psu stands for power supply unit. I have no experience with dimension desktops but i imagine it needs the correct psu.
  5. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Older dell dimension desktops used proprietary PSU and motherboard connections that are reversed from the standard. that is why a non dell PSU wont work in one of those older dell desktops. and attempting to get a standard PSU to work in one of those dells can fry the motherboard. the only source for those PSU's are dell or PC Power&Cooling.
  6. simcrazy5000

simcrazy5000 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Geeze

Thanks. I've been looking around and I've seen people saying that Dell's Crazy Idea for making their own Unique PSUs has caused Fried motherboards. Yipee. I guess I don't have much to do now... I guess it's all a bunch of junk heap. Maybe I'll Auction the working parts off on Ebay.
    Good Ol' Ebay...

BTW - Amen to yur signature!
    -Nick
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.