TechSpot

Motorola signs deal with 3D Systems to help build their modular 'Ara' smartphone

By Shawn Knight
Nov 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Motorola has signed a multi-year deal with 3D Systems to help bring Project Ara, the free and open modular mobile hardware platform, to life. The agreement will see 3D Systems create a high-speed 3D printing production platform and fulfillment system...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

I think Motorola is going to change the future of the smartphone if this goes through. Not just a modular phone but 3d printed bodies? interchangeable, personizeable, bodies?

ThanosPAS likes this.
  3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

It's a good idea, but I see this as a niche product and not very profitable. These modules will not offer anything that wouldn't already be available in other phones. I see the bigger battery module being the most popular but not much else. Is Motorola going to make a comparable or better camera module to rival Nokia phone cameras for example? I don't see it. I also fear these different configurations could affect getting the latest OS updates. And what about pricing, weight and screen sizes?

I want to see how this product develops and will be keeping my eye on it.

4. Kneep

Kneep TS Rookie Posts: 43

Just an observation here, but I think that you're missing, and even the article is missing it. One of the main reasons why phonebloks decided to do this was that if one or more components on the phone failed, they would be easier to repair by simply replacing the particular defective block with ease, rather than having to pay high prices to fix a reg cell phone, or have to replace a cell phone when something minor fails that would normally cost too much to repair, if ya get my drift. Less Waste!

5. ikesmasher

The sheer fact that you would be able to UPGRADE your phone without replacing it isnt enough?

6. jeromie

jeromie TS Rookie

This phone is going to be awesome, whether it be the replace broken parts or the upgrade route I am sick and tired of buying a phone and within six months or less its outdated.

7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

No.

8. Your missing the point, your screwed if the base dies anyway, dosent matter if its modular blocks are working or not.

9. ikesmasher

You just buy a new base.

dennis777 likes this.
  10. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +135

We're missing the point? I dont think we are the ones missing the point here....

11. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +135

The base, may be, in fact the cheapest part! I could be wrong, but we'll find out soon enough I suppose?

ikesmasher likes this.
  12. Whether this would be successful or not will depend on the price of the base and components.