Motorola signs deal with 3D Systems to help build their modular 'Ara' smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

motorola systems ara

Motorola has signed a multi-year deal with 3D Systems to help bring Project Ara, the free and open modular mobile hardware platform, to life. The agreement will see 3D Systems create a high-speed 3D printing production platform and fulfillment system for Motorola to utilize.

Specifically, 3D Systems said they plan to substantially expand their multi-material printing capabilities which include conductive and functional materials. Once finished with the development phase, the company will be able to manufacture 3D-printed Ara smartphone enclosures and modules as Motorola’s exclusive fulfillment partner.

In a statement on the matter, 3D Systems president and CEO Avi Reichental noted Project Ara was conceived to build a platform that empowers consumers with customization for a product made by and for the individual.

If you aren’t familiar, Project Ara was unveiled late last month as a collaborative effort with a company known as Phonebloks. The latter was unveiled back in September with the idea of creating a modular smartphone that would allow users to upgrade various parts of their smartphone that may be outdates while still keeping others around that work perfectly fine.

For example, if you don’t need Bluetooth, you can remove that module and install a larger battery block instead. Those interested in taking higher quality photos could install a larger camera module or do away with all of the extras and have a massive battery instead. The idea itself is really groundbreaking but whether or not Motorola can ultimately produce something that consumers are interested in remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

I think Motorola is going to change the future of the smartphone if this goes through. Not just a modular phone but 3d printed bodies? interchangeable, personizeable, bodies?

It's a good idea, but I see this as a niche product and not very profitable. These modules will not offer anything that wouldn't already be available in other phones. I see the bigger battery module being the most popular but not much else. Is Motorola going to make a comparable or better camera module to rival Nokia phone cameras for example? I don't see it. I also fear these different configurations could affect getting the latest OS updates. And what about pricing, weight and screen sizes?

I want to see how this product develops and will be keeping my eye on it.

Just an observation here, but I think that you're missing, and even the article is missing it. One of the main reasons why phonebloks decided to do this was that if one or more components on the phone failed, they would be easier to repair by simply replacing the particular defective block with ease, rather than having to pay high prices to fix a reg cell phone, or have to replace a cell phone when something minor fails that would normally cost too much to repair, if ya get my drift. Less Waste!

It's a good idea, but I see this as a niche product and not very profitable. These modules will not offer anything that wouldn't already be available in other phones. I see the bigger battery module being the most popular but not much else. Is Motorola going to make a comparable or better camera module to rival Nokia phone cameras for example? I don't see it. I also fear these different configurations could affect getting the latest OS updates. And what about pricing, weight and screen sizes?

I want to see how this product develops and will be keeping my eye on it.
The sheer fact that you would be able to UPGRADE your phone without replacing it isnt enough?

This phone is going to be awesome, whether it be the replace broken parts or the upgrade route I am sick and tired of buying a phone and within six months or less its outdated.

Your missing the point, your screwed if the base dies anyway, dosent matter if its modular blocks are working or not.

Whether this would be successful or not will depend on the price of the base and components.

Back