Motorola's Turbo Charger claims 8 hour battery life from a 15 minute charge

By Shawn Knight
Sep 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Motorola has quietly unveiled a new charging accessory that promises to deliver eight hours of battery life from a 15 minute charge. The Motorola Turbo Charger uses Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 technology to pull off the feat but you'll need...

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I gotta admit, this is pretty cool. I wonder if this tech has long-term effects on the battery that aren't known just yet.
  3. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,079   +331

That is the question I want to know.

I've recently started to use a 1.8amp charger for my Blackberry Z30 vs the Stock 850mah one.

I can charge the 2880mAH battery in just over an hour and a half. The stock chargers takes about 3 hours.

So I really want to know how that will affect the longevity of my battery. I already spoke with one of my contacts at BB and it shouldn't make a difference.
  4. Jad Chaar

Yeah definitely. I really wish battery longevity was taken into account more.
  5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 859   +353

Or you could just do like I did, IF you don't mind a BIG phone, and get a Mate2 by Huawei. Even with heavy use of phone, data, I get 2-3 days on ONE charge! No extra do-dads, no battery savers, no cutting CPU cycles, just run it full throttle and it runs forever. And the best part is it isn't tied to a contract, and only $299. What's not to love? Oh, it doesn't have this OS update or that pixel density screen bla bla bla.
    I use to think like that too, until I bought one!
  6. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Guru Posts: 451   +37

To be honest, the 15-minute charger seems a little un-needed to me. Now a days I can get a full day or day and a half of battery life off my droid, on one charge. Usually I just run it down to around 30% by the end of the day and just leave it to charge overnight. There's only 2 reasons I would buy this is: 1) If they had a car charger version or 2) This charger technology becomes the norm. As of right now I'm good on battery life, and I can only imagine it'll be much better 1 or 2 years from now, when this technology starts getting picked up by other companies.
  7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

More than two years ago, I think it read it somewhere that Sony devices have similar charging capability. I can't seem to recall if it was a sony product catalogue summer or holiday issue (for the Philippine market). If I was not mistaken, Sony Walkman and other portable music/video player products possess rapid charge capability.
  8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,422   +470

Probably it's meant to be used that way, if your phone is able to charge to 1A and you use a 2A charger, it will only go as high as your phone allows it, 1A.

So you could put in a 4A charger and it would still go at 1A.

I'm pretty sure they test the effects and side-effects of their methods and wouldn't sell it or wouldn't be able (Legally) to sell them without a disclaimer on damage to the device.
  9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I think you're right. It's like if I have a circuit breaker at 5A and put a 10W light bulb in it, then move that light bulb to a 20A circuit. It can only draw as much power as it can use. The trick is to use a smart charger and not to over charge the battery. Batteries can be a bit greedy and try to fill up to breaking points.
  10. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,422   +470

That is handled in-phone software and hardware. What the charger does is protect it voltage-wise, the rest is all up to the phone.
  11. Jad Chaar

That is true. Good point.