Mouse-Box puts a full PC inside of a computer mouse

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mouse computer pc pc in a mouse computer mouse

Intel’s Compute Stick – an entire PC in an HDMI dongle – certainly impressed earlier this month at the annual Consumer Electronics Show, but what if I told you that it is possible to shove a full-blown computer into a PC mouse?

That’s exactly what engineers at polish startup Mouse-Box are attempting to pull off.

Their PC-in-a-mouse, also called Mouse-Box, is powered by a quad-core ARM Cortex processor clocked at 1.4GHz with 128GB of onboard flash storage. The computer also sports 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity, a pair of USB 3.0 ports, a microHDMI port, an accelerometer and a gyroscope. The team has additionally been working to add a wireless transmission module.

Mouse-Box will ship with a special inductive charging pad that can be used as a wireless charger for the PC or folded and used as a regular box. Oh, and Mouse-Box also functions as a regular computer mouse.

The idea behind the Mouse-Box isn’t just to prove it can be done but to give users the ability to have their personal computer with them at all times. All that’ll be needed is a display.

The project appears to still be in the early stages of development but the concept certainly seems promising. At this point, it’s unclear if the company plans to continue development on their own, take the crowd-funding approach or look for investors to help finish it up and get it out the door.

With a few additional features (Bluetooth connectivity and a microSD card slot come to mind), the Mouse-Box could be a serious contender in the bring-your-own-computer movement.

Permalink to story.

I love how in the video that it's "somewhere in Europe" and the first thing they demonstrate is to use it to be naughty at work. Then later on, it's like, "Here are the positive pros to using it."

Overall, I don't know if I like it or not.

Interesting... I'm sure my company would love to have everyone bring in there own computer and connect to our internal network, what could go wrong?

Wouldn't it be easier to just write an app that changes your smartphone into a mouse? With a little plastic backplate or pouch that raises the smartphone so light led acts as laser and camera reads the surface movement?

What does this offer in terms of capability that an ordinary Smartphone doesn't?

"That’s exactly what engineers at polish startup Mouse-Box are attempting to pull off."
Should be a capital P on "Polish" shouldn't it? Implies they are some sort of new shoe shine business...

Useless
now when everybody uses touch control they invent mouse. but they forgot the keyboard. how the hell would he load and control that presentation he was showing? what OS would it use? I think they just try to get some money trough crowdfunding go on a vacation or buy a car then let people forget

Back