TechSpot

Movie app for iPad 2?

By learninmypc
Feb 8, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. As I was trying to find some movies to watch on my iPad the other day, it kept trying to get me to Download a different app depending on what movie it was. I don't want or need a dozen different apps for movie(s), I'd like to know if there is a single app for all types of movies? Thanks in advance & yes I have been doing a lot of googling:) thank you.

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Do you mean you need an app to play different type of movie files (e.g. MKV, FLV, etc.)?

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 6,594   +335

In a nutshell, I was looking up several different movies from a movie website I found but everytime I chose a movie,it sent me to a different app so I don't know if it means MKV,FLV, ???, ??? Or what. I have watched several of the movies on my W7 but I'd like to watch one or two on my iPad if possible.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

It sends you to an app probably because it is a file not a playable video in the browser.

5. learninmypc

Ok, that sucks , so I'll stick with my pc, thank you for the help :)

6. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

If you buy the film from iTunes you should be fine with watching it on your iPad. Alternatively, you could transfer the video file from your computer to the iPad using Player Xtreme HD and it will play.

learninmypc likes this.
  7. learninmypc

That would be fine if I watched a movie more than once, but I seldom do. The only movie movie I've watched multiple times is The Wizard of Oz. I might watch a movie twice, but then no more. But I thank you for the info :)

bazz2004 likes this.
  8. bazz2004

All the stuff about a tablet that can replace your laptop and vice versa doesn't convince. I feel happier with both.

learninmypc likes this.
  9. learninmypc

If I had the $$$$ I'd probably not be asking. I'll just stick with watching them on my W7 & my awesome sound system :)

10. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

I play MOV and MP4 on my iPad with no apps. My webserver exports MP4 as a default to all browsers

11. learninmypc

I'll retry a movie or two to see what happens if you think it's advisable? I don't want to mess my iPad up.

12. jobeard

I Save videos to the PC, show iTunes where they are and let Sync do it's job. Anything incompatible is ignored and not sent to the iPad

13. learninmypc

Will try that, thank you.

14. bazz2004

It's the "Anything incompatible is ignored" that's the problem. :)

learninmypc likes this.
  15. jobeard

Default iTunes videos come in a whole rash of formts (see the wiki). The important ones are:
    • MOV (aka quicktime)
    • MP4
    • H.263 & H.264
    • WebM
    In addition, content purchased via some online store (eg Apple Store) frequently has DRM associate and exporting to another device is problematic. That means, if iTunes doesn't know about device xyz, then it will not download to it. This strongly hints that DRM enforcement may be the issue when purchased content has DRM and you need to download to device xyz.

Googling for "video format converter" will point to several tools for conversion
    One converter I've used is: Handbrake

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  16. bazz2004

True, but why bother with conversion when an iPad app like Player Xtreme HD will play virtually anything without the bother? Conversion is making loads more work. IPad will play some mp4 files but refuse others which is pretty annoying and an obvious area for improvement. It's nice to be able to play videos on the iPad for something like a plane flight though. In reality this is fairly academic in that it's just nice to know how to do something even if you aren't likely to apply the know-how very often.

17. jobeard

:grin: You are correct, of course

18. learninmypc

Thank you two for the info, I'm still learning my iPad too :)

19. bluejolls

bluejolls TS Booster Posts: 107   +8

TeeVee 3 is great. It's perfect for what I need it to do. I had deleted it until today because the iCloud sync was driving me mad. Deleted TV shows kept reappearing but that appears to be all sorted now.

Buddy TV is downloading right now so I'll take a look at that but as a back-up I have a note in Evernote with TV shows I'm watching listed ('cause you never know...)

20. learninmypc

Thanks, but I'll stick with watching movies on my W7. :)

21. Cailey1100

Cailey1100 TS Rookie

You can try VLC player, you can transfer directly any movie files and watch it in your iPad

22. learninmypc

Thanks, but did you read my last post? I'm watching movies on my W7. :)

23. learninmypc

Ok, I just found VLC but these instructions baffle me
    IMG_1897.PNG
    IMG_1898.PNG
    There were more,but....................