Mozilla calls on Apple, Google, and Microsoft to create a more level playing field in...

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
The big picture: Chrome has long held the browser crown where market share is concerned at 65 percent. Its closest rival is Safari, which has 19 percent. The rest have low single-digit slices of the pie. Mozilla wants to change the situation to give Firefox and other third-party browsers a chance to survive.

The Mozilla Foundation published a new dashboard to track technical issues affecting Firefox's ability to provide a better browsing experience on Windows, Android, and iOS. The Platform Tilt tracker monitors security, stability, performance, and functionality issues, giving the Foundation ideas for changes needed to preserve competition on all platforms.

Mozilla said that web browsers are now shaping the internet experience for most users. This central role has long motivated the Mozilla Foundation to build a better Firefox. However, it also incentivizes the dominant players to control and dictate what browser people may use. There's a long history of companies leveraging their position as OS or device makers to "tilt the playing field" in their favor.

The Platform Tilt tracker was born out of Mozilla's frustration with the status quo. The organization has engaged in discussions with platform holders to try and address these issues. However, it ultimately decided that now is the time to express these concerns publicly and transparently.

Platform Tilt lists the issues Mozilla experienced while developing Firefox and porting the code to the most popular computing platforms. For Apple's iOS, the tracker currently includes ten issues related to API and feature support, message integration, browser data import, and support for third-party browser engines in the App Store.

Google's Android has three open issues with third-party browsers. For one, Android forbids importing data from other browsers. Second, it prefers Chrome by default for some internal features. Lastly, it provides lower-quality search results in third-party browser engines.

Meanwhile, Microsoft Windows stifles independent browsers by providing no easy way to set a custom default browser. It also opens Edge with several Windows setting flows and forces customers to use Edge for some OS features, even when choosing a different default browser.

Mozilla wants to give people choice in the browser market, and choice requires that "viable alternatives" like Firefox or other independent browsers exist. However, alternatives cannot flourish if the playing field isn't fair. Platform holders could quickly fix the technical issues in the Platform Tilt tracker. However, this is not likely to happen unless forced.

Permalink to story.

Pro tip to the Mozilla foundation: Maybe make a competitive product and stop breaking things to follow in google's footsteps? Your mobile OS was abandoned long before it could bear fruit, you spent years firing employees for holding naughty political beliefs while google was implementing 64 bit and multicore support, and let's not get into the privacy nightmare that is out of box firefox today....

Its not like its even hard. The tech community is FED UP with microsoft, apple, and google. All you have to do is not copy their garbage behavior. Just do that!

Pro tip to the Mozilla foundation: Maybe make a competitive product and stop breaking things to follow in google's footsteps? Your mobile OS was abandoned long before it could bear fruit, you spent years firing employees for holding naughty political beliefs while google was implementing 64 bit and multicore support, and let's not get into the privacy nightmare that is out of box firefox today....

Its not like its even hard. The tech community is FED UP with microsoft, apple, and google. All you have to do is not copy their garbage behavior. Just do that!
Firefox is alright, I've been a user for 2 decades, pretty much. And also, they don't have the trillions of dollars that the other players have. Has this ever occurred to you?

Protip: stop talking rubbish.

Theinsanegamer,
Seems like you haven't been using Firefox. It's a nice product to use.
Seems like nobody is using firefox. That's kinda the issue, you know?
Firefox is alright, I've been a user for 2 decades, pretty much. And also, they don't have the trillions of dollars that the other players have. Has this ever occurred to you?
Do you need trillions of dollars to not engage in political BS? Do you need trillions of dollars to listen to user feedback? Mozillas issues can be drawn back to them doing things their users greatly dislike. Much like AMD, it's not money that's the issue, it's the constant failure to compete that is the issue.
Protip: stop talking rubbish.
Just because you love mozilla doesnt mean what Ive said is wrong. They lost most of their marketshare due to firing management over political BS instead of focusing on competing with google, and it cost them marketshare that isnt easy to recover.

I have used all the browsers in the last 3 decades and I can't give a monkey's about either of them. I was a long time Firefox and Chrome user but since Edge went Chromium I moved over. I am not a power user and am therefore totally happy with it. I wouldn't use it for pentesting for example (only Kali with Firefox...) but for general day to day use I am totally happy with edge. Now that Copilot is integrated it makes a lot of things quicker and easier.

Firefox's problem isn't its web browser, the problem that Mozilla has is that its competition owns the operating system; whereas Google owns the Android name, Microsoft owns Microsoft Edge and lastly Apple owns Safari. Maybe it's time that Mozilla creates its operating system because to be completely honest, I am rather bored with what we have now.

Mozilla what do Google, Apple, and Microsoft have in common? They own the operating system. So why not create an operating system of your own Mozilla, something ground breaking?

Firefox's problem isn't its web browser, the problem that Mozilla has is that its competition owns the operating system; whereas Google owns the Android name, Microsoft owns Microsoft Edge and lastly Apple owns Safari. Maybe it's time that Mozilla creates its operating system because to be completely honest, I am rather bored with what we have now.
Yeah pretty much all their OS's suck. Windows has become intrusive and forceful in how they want you to use their OS rather than letting the user use it the way they want to. Apple hasn't innovated in over a decade and while it has mostly had a stable platform, it is boring and is getting buggier by the year, and Google Android is just so fragmented that every phone and tablet manufacturer does weird stuff and forces that upon the users. It is all just a big box of frustrations, really.

Firefox did try to make their OS, sort of... from Ubuntu and for mobile phones, but it was too late and Android and iOS already had their teeth in the market. Perhaps they should pull an Apple and use FreeBSD Unix as a base and make their own desktop and mobile OS that kicks everyone's butt with innovation, security, stability, and flexibility. A massive undertaking for sure but if they could pull it off, it would really shake up the entire consumer OS and ultimately, web browser industry.

I like FireFox, and I use it on all of my computers and phone. I use others to such as Opera and Adblock browers, but never use Google or MS browsers. Too much snooping.

Back