Mozilla demands firm halt spyware masquerading as Firefox

By Rick
May 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Gamma International, a British security firm with ostensibly few scruples, has been accused of developing surveillance software which intentionally masquerades as Firefox. The program's unauthorized similarities to Mozilla's well-known browser prompted the organization to issue a cease-and-desist notice in an...

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 694   +210

This company should be shut down immediately and its leadership fined and/or imprisoned. By the laws of any western nation their guilty of cybercrime.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,656   +507

I stick by the old proverbial and controversial saying: They should be taken to a clear field, stood face to the wall, and shot right in the forehead.
  4. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 629   +122

If it's a clear field, how does one face the wall?
    hammer2085 likes this.
  5. VitalyT

It's a joke of controversy, same goes if you put someone face to the wall, you can't shoot him in the forehead ;)
  6. Lurker101

I was going to mention that as well, but then I realised that you can, if you've got a big enough bullet.
  7. VitalyT

Or, if you got big enough imagination, anything is possible then ;) It's like removing tonsils through anus - another russian joke ;)
  8. Lurker101

Fix'd

Also, I fear we may be going slightly off topic here.
    VitalyT likes this.
  9. It's a CIA front. Sure, they may shut down, but next month they will be back as Chrome.exe !
  10. VitalyT

Antivirus manufacturers should pick up on this and pattern in for detection as malware. They may have already, hard to know. I used Avast for 2 years, and just changed it to BitDefender, none ever reported such fake browsers.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,921   +724

Yeah... or stabbed with a shotgun.

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,921   +724

Why doesn't Mozilla sue them for all they're worth? They should take a leaf from Apple's book.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.