TechSpot

Mozilla demands firm halt spyware masquerading as Firefox

By Rick
May 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Gamma International, a British security firm with ostensibly few scruples, has been accused of developing surveillance software which intentionally masquerades as Firefox. The program's unauthorized similarities to Mozilla's well-known browser prompted the organization to issue a cease-and-desist notice in an...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,208   +572

This company should be shut down immediately and its leadership fined and/or imprisoned. By the laws of any western nation their guilty of cybercrime.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 2,995   +1,248

I stick by the old proverbial and controversial saying: They should be taken to a clear field, stood face to the wall, and shot right in the forehead.

4. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 689   +179

If it's a clear field, how does one face the wall?

hammer2085 likes this.
  5. VitalyT

It's a joke of controversy, same goes if you put someone face to the wall, you can't shoot him in the forehead ;)

6. Lurker101

I was going to mention that as well, but then I realised that you can, if you've got a big enough bullet.

7. VitalyT

Or, if you got big enough imagination, anything is possible then ;) It's like removing tonsils through anus - another russian joke ;)

8. Lurker101

Fix'd

Also, I fear we may be going slightly off topic here.

VitalyT likes this.
  9. It's a CIA front. Sure, they may shut down, but next month they will be back as Chrome.exe !

10. VitalyT

Antivirus manufacturers should pick up on this and pattern in for detection as malware. They may have already, hard to know. I used Avast for 2 years, and just changed it to BitDefender, none ever reported such fake browsers.

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,085   +1,799

Yeah... or stabbed with a shotgun.

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,085   +1,799

Why doesn't Mozilla sue them for all they're worth? They should take a leaf from Apple's book.