TechSpot

"MPAA controlled computers" coming shortly to a Theater near you

By MrGaribaldi
May 27, 2002
Post New Reply
  1. This just came down into my mailbox, and made me sit bolt upright!....

It covers what the MPAA wants to do in the near future (with the US senates help), and how it will affect you...

A short quote:

I urge you all to read it, think about it, then talk to your senators/whoever can help STOP this madness!
    Tell your friends about it, show them that it doesn't just limit itself to computers, but will affect (allmost) everyones lives... (the allmost refering to hermits & the like)

2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 2,802

Anyone else who was scared by that vision of the future? :shudder:
  3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

I trying to refrain from making a rant here...I'll try to keep it short.

Are the music and movie that afraid of technology? When does the madness end? First they put protections on music that causes me to have to buy new stereo equipment and I lose the ability to play those CDs(which by definition are not CDs) on my computer. Then they try to shut down the internet radio stations. Now they want to monitor my every movement. This is a little too "1984" for my tase. I can see that they want to protect their property and prevent piracy(which has been going on forever, it just has publicity now) I can remember back in the mid '80s, there was this little gas station at the edge of town and they had a back room full of music and movies that were pirated and they sold them. Anyway, as I was saying, how many rights do the consumers have to give up before the entertainment industry feels safe? What will be next? licensing media to the player? How about self destructing discs that destroy the drive if you try to copy it?

Do not attemp to adjust your life. We are in control, we control the vertical, We control the horizontal.

One last thing, PLEASE boycott all companies who are participants in this Techno-Nazi regime. Don't buy their products and don't use their services. But that probably just fuels their fire doesn't it. They assume that every lost sale is due to piracy, because they know people can't possibly live without their products. Come on, it's Entertainment, not like a need for survival.
  4. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 2,802

I guess they'll stop when it's come to the point that we are deducted 50% of our salary to pay for copyright infringements.... I.e. listening to the radio/watching tv without watching the commercials
    talking to someone about a movie or a piece of music, OR not using the rest of the 50% on services they produce...

I must admit one thing... It's quite hard to write something about this without going into rant mode... This in turn leaves many people unable to argue against what the MPAA is trying to do...

Oh, well... Guess I'll go rip the MPAA off by watching tv, but not the commercials...
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Why stop at 50% of the salary ? Why not go for 100% ? If every single ( stupid ) idea they come out with, senators are dumb enough to apply them, then they can have whatever they want & make it seem natural.
  6. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Are they going to start complaining about us NOT watching TV?

People have the right to watch whatever they want. Whenever they want.

If the MPAA gets away with this... What is this world going to come to? The ideal solution is people will even further boycott the music industry, and a whole new wave of 3rd party programs to "clean" the music we buy. I do also hope that there will be artists/publishers that do boycott this...

I understand their selfish desires to squeeze every penny out of the customer, it's in human nature, but this is just taking it not one step too far, but about ten.
  7. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.