TechSpot

MS Office 15 gets technical preview, public beta due this summer

By Matthew
Jan 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The next version of Microsoft Office has reached a new development milestone, allowing a handful of privileged individuals to sample the pre-release software. The technical preview is currently limited to…

Read the whole story

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Getting kind of bloated. Unless you pay for Office 365 or run your own multi-thousand dollar Windows Server with lots of licenses then half of it is useless. And I bet the recommended install options include everything pre-selected.

3. why people bother to buy ms office is beyond me just downloaded open office for free

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

@spyder

Most of the tools included in Office Suite, are targeted at corporate sector, especially the ones for collaboration, beside, there are other version of Office are available for users who don't require all that extra functionality. For home users, who casually type letters / assignments one can always try out one of those free alternatives.

5. but open office is sh**. at least it was back in 2009.

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

I agree, but IMHO it is true for power users.

7. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 413   +42

I f#$% HATE Open/Libre Office. It's so flippen buggy and unintuitive to use.

8. I'm a small business owner. I've always been an open source proponent. I have a copy of Office 2010 that I was able to get from my graduate school for next-to-nothing. I compared it to LibreOffice in terms of compatibility between files, consistency of data shown, etc. The end result, much to my dismay, was that Office is a better solution for business-to-business. There were many areas where Word documents would show up really messed up on the other end (be it Word or Writer). The difference between Presentation and PowerPoint was also quite vast. LibreOffice has a ways to go before it gets to where Office is in terms of business usability.

I keep LibreOffice up-to-date on my computer and use it every once in a while to test documents.

Outlook really irritates me though, I still keep Thunderbird installed when I'm not working with HTML.

9. Does MS Excel 15 know how to properly save a CSV into UTF-8 enconding or should I wait for the 16 ? XD

10. AmpFeare

AmpFeare TS Rookie Posts: 26

hmmm i wonder when these previews will end up on torrent sites like windows 8 did

11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

I was wondering the same. But the article implies they are 'trustworty' people, lol.

Then again, when they appear, only those brave and outside of US jurisdiction will dl. The rest of the people of the US will have to wait a day or so until they appear on their private trackers.

12. Guest wrote: "why people bother to buy ms office is beyond me just downloaded open office for free".

If Impress was even remotely as good as PowerPoint, then Open/LibreOffice might have a chance. But for me it's not, so case closed.

13. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TS Member Posts: 75

Working for an IT place with hundreds of clients, I'd say about 90% of them still use Office 2007 or lower.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.