MSE won't update, Firefox and IE crash and random comp restarts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

Ok so I'm trying to fix a computer in the public IT room at work which is behaving very strangely and is basically unusable.

p4 3.0
winxp pro

IE keeps freezing and crashing and giving c++ errors, also, just a minute ago I saw a out of memory at line 8 error as it was crashing...

I've tried to use Ccleaner to see if it can help at all but it crashes as well giving c++ errors

MSE won't update it downloads the update and then just sits there saying 'searching' and eventually says it can't update (internet connection isn't the problem as it downloads the update fine, just won't install it)

Firefox keeps closing randomly not like freezing first and not responding, it's like I've closed it on purpose.....only I haven't. Gave me a nonsense messages similar to this: memory error 0xc0000142 (that is the exact number though)

Also there's a program called threatfire on there that I'm getting c++ errors on too.

Once or twice I've also seen the computer screen go black and restart the machine without any prior warning or errors.

As far as I know this was working until today....

Is this likely to be a spyware/virus issue? As I've had a couple of experiences where a computer was acting really strangely especially with regards to virus programs and internet.

Or is it more likely to be a windows problem/something else like bad ram?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

I'm trying to fix a computer in the public IT room at work
Is this likely to be a spyware/virus issue? As I've had a couple of experiences where a computer was acting really strangely especially with regards to virus programs and internet.

Or is it more likely to be a windows problem/something else like bad ram?

Please post your problem in the Windows OS forum. You are not describing malware problems.

Got to ask though- is there no IT in the IT room to fix it???

I work for a charity - there's no budget for dedicated people I run around all day doing all sorts of things, I'm a tutor and I man the front desk and take care of admin stuff etc etc...

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, it's jsut that I had crazy problems with my own computer at home before and you guys helped me sort it out- it had tonnes of spyware on it.

I'll repost over there,

Thanks for the reply.

You will get more help there quicker! That wasn't a refusal or a complaint, but rather meant as guidance- please take it that way.

It may indeed be malware- but they can take you through the errors in the Event Viewer to try and find a reason for the crashes. If you wanted to go through the malware check first, you would have a difficult time downloading and running the scans because of the crashes.

Hey there - don't worry I completely understand.

Also, I know what you're saying about not being able to run the scans etc.

Thing is though, whatever had infected me at home wouldn't let me run malware bytes etc, I had to actually rename their install files to something that the infection wasn't 'looking' for. So I thought it might be a similar problem? Because I had such a good experience with my own problems I thought I'd try again and I just assumed it was malware and not something else.....

Anyways I'll do what you say and ask in the windows bit. Thanks for the responses mate I really, really appreciate your help, this place is fantastic.

Be sure to mention that I referred you to that forum for system problem resolution. After you get help finding the cause and can hopefully resolve, if malware is still suspected, you will be able to run the cleaning programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back