TechSpot

MSI announces fanless Atom-based SFF motherboard

By Matthew
Dec 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. MSI has unveiled a new Atom-based small form factor motherboard that touts a fanless design. The I3-945GSE-D requires absolutely no fans to operate comfortably, making it an ideal solution for use in custom enclosures and embedded applications. Since the board only measures 3.5 inches and doesn't have any blowers, you can't expect it to carry anything particularly powerful. It comes with Intel's dated 1.6GHz Atom N270 single-core processor, which launched in early 2008, along with the 945GSE chipset.

Read the whole story
  2. Osiris391

Osiris391 TS Rookie

awWWwWWW so tiny
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,237   +79

This could certainly host a home server, no fan makes me wonder how much temp can it acchieve all day on.
  4. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195

Wow, small, but no fan, even for an atom that seems risky. But hey, it could have some very useful applications, like outspace where there is no air to blow... wait, it's like -450*F in outer space, that would be great for overclocking. NVM, I'm off on some tangent.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Surely the performance would be completely in-adequate once you go above 1 user on the servers network though?

Especially if your throwing data back and forth and doing backups, and running apps on the server at the same time.

I could be wrong, but its the last thing I'd consider for a server, home use or not.
  6. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

You could make an awesome mini-cluster with 3 or five of these suckers.
  7. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Yeah, that would've been awesome!

Really now, this motherboard is a bit to small for a laptop/notebook/ยต-notebook, and way to large for a PDA-based computer (just dreaming a little). The motherboard is sure to fit in somewhere, but is there any point in it for us home consumers?
  8. yRaz

yRaz TS Booster Posts: 907   +94

No, space is a vacuum and there is no air to blow across the heat sink. The only way to cool something in space is for it to radiate away. There is nothing to absorb heat in space, so even though it is very cold, it would be very bad for overclocking.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.