MSI K9N SLI Platinum - wrong CPU!

By polarablues
Jan 8, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all you new people!

So, here's the story. I was bad and overclocked my AMD Athlon 64x2 2.4 Ghz processor. It eventually went bad. Didn't have money to fix it for a while, and today I just purchased a 2.0 Ghz Athlon 64x2 for next to nothing.

Now, it posts in the mobo, and I can get into the bios, then it just...shuts off. I try turning it back on, fans come on, shuts off again almost immediately. Let it sit a while, then I can get into the bios for a minute or so before it shuts off again.

I finally figured out, that the MOBO is recognizing the processor at 3800+ (which is correct) but it shows a speed of 2.42 ghz instead of 2.0!!!

I have no idea what to do, but I'm not messing with it again until I get some answers :(

please help? Thanks
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Reset the BIOS. That should fix it.
  3. polarablues

polarablues Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Things I tried

Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by "reset the bios". There's a button on the board that clears the CMOS, I know that. There's also a battery, a fairly large one. do I pull that? I had also chosen "load failsafe settings" in the bios.
  4. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Just the button would be fine.
  5. polarablues

polarablues Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

It didn't work, I held the button for at least 20 seconds too :(

I go into "cell menu" and it still reads 2400 Mhz. Is there a way to manually change this? I also noticed the processor voltage at 12.5 volts but there's no way to change that either.

But it's still quitting after about 30 seconds, and not letting me post for a few minutes...I also upgraded the power supply and it has protection circuits that take a few minutes to reset. I wonder if this has anything to do with it? Pretty sure I don't have a short, but I'll triple check.

Speed's now reading 2000 mhz, but it still does the shut off issue after 30 seconds or so. I upgraded to a brand new OCZ UPS that has protection that takes a bit to reset...makes me wonder if I have a short, but I can't find one. Any suggestions?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.