MSI K9N SLI Platinum - wrong CPU!

Hello all you new people!

So, here's the story. I was bad and overclocked my AMD Athlon 64x2 2.4 Ghz processor. It eventually went bad. Didn't have money to fix it for a while, and today I just purchased a 2.0 Ghz Athlon 64x2 for next to nothing.

Now, it posts in the mobo, and I can get into the bios, then it just...shuts off. I try turning it back on, fans come on, shuts off again almost immediately. Let it sit a while, then I can get into the bios for a minute or so before it shuts off again.

I finally figured out, that the MOBO is recognizing the processor at 3800+ (which is correct) but it shows a speed of 2.42 ghz instead of 2.0!!!

I have no idea what to do, but I'm not messing with it again until I get some answers :(

please help? Thanks

Things I tried

Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by "reset the bios". There's a button on the board that clears the CMOS, I know that. There's also a battery, a fairly large one. do I pull that? I had also chosen "load failsafe settings" in the bios.

It didn't work, I held the button for at least 20 seconds too :(

I go into "cell menu" and it still reads 2400 Mhz. Is there a way to manually change this? I also noticed the processor voltage at 12.5 volts but there's no way to change that either.

But it's still quitting after about 30 seconds, and not letting me post for a few minutes...I also upgraded the power supply and it has protection circuits that take a few minutes to reset. I wonder if this has anything to do with it? Pretty sure I don't have a short, but I'll triple check.

Speed's now reading 2000 mhz, but it still does the shut off issue after 30 seconds or so. I upgraded to a brand new OCZ UPS that has protection that takes a bit to reset...makes me wonder if I have a short, but I can't find one. Any suggestions?

Back