MSI teases ultrathin 15-inch gaming laptop with "3K" display

Jos

Staff

MSI has unveiled their latest gaming laptop at this year’s CeBIT. Dubbed GS60 Ghost Pro, the company claims it’s the world’s thinnest and lightest 15.6-inch gaming notebook, measuring in at less than 0.86-inch and weighing in at 4.4 pounds. Aside from this distinction the GS60 is also notable for sporting Nvidia’s upcoming flagship mobile chip, the GeForce GTX860M, and an optional “3K” 2,880 x 1,620 resolution display.

MSI’s latest gaming entry comes in a number of different models with varying specs as well as pricing between 1,600 and 2,000 euros ($2,200 to $2,800) depending on configuration. Although a full list of specs isn’t available at the moment, Engadget says options will include up to a Core i7 processor, dual SSD storage in Super RAID plus an additional hard drive, up to 16GB of RAM and the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard.

The base model will come with a full HD 1920 x 1080 panel and all can apparently power up to 3 independent external monitors to work, watch or play. The GT60 Ghost Pro also features a SteelSeries gaming keyboard with a full range of color options that can be customized to your liking.

Units are expected to start shipping in April.

Image via Engadget

Permalink to story.

Hmm... Now I'm supposed to be saving up some cash for a computer for Star Citizen... but this will be worth a look.

Awesome a laptop with a 3k display for those times you feel you want to run games at 10FPS with a burning desire to heat your house and melt plastic.

This is why I love MSI notebooks, they are just such good machines and they have a decent price to performance ratio. I can't wait to see this baby in action.

Awesome a laptop with a 3k display for those times you feel you want to run games at 10FPS with a burning desire to heat your house and melt plastic.
Well yea its going to require quite a GPU to run any game at a decent setting and even then since its mobile that makes the requirement even higher. I doubt the price for this is going to be anything laughable though, more likely to make people cry than anything else.

You have to power every pixel, so I hope the new nvidia chips are as power efficient as they claim. I can't really see a need for this though. Anyone with the need for that much resolution or compute power hopefully has a proper desktop. Otherwise they will have to keep this on a chill mat perpetually plugged in. Although I see Mac pros used for nothing but Facebook so what do I know.

The only thing that will cry will be the laptop when it burns itself alive and the wallet of the owner and the owner of the laptop will also cry as he see's his money disappear in front of his/her eyes.

The only thing that will cry will be the laptop when it burns itself alive and the wallet of the owner and the owner of the laptop will also cry as he see's his money disappear in front of his/her eyes.
I doubt theres going to be any issue with heat as MSI has been building 15 Performance/Gaming notebooks for quite awhile now to great success. The higher resolution screen will not cause heat to be more of an issue although battery life maybe a problem (Albeit, when is a gaming laptop supposed to have good battery life). The GPU might be more stressed than normal on the average things when rendering that screen, however those laptops are tested to handle 100% both on processor and GPU to make sure overheating is not an issue.

MSI is not Dell.

You have to power every pixel, so I hope the new nvidia chips are as power efficient as they claim. I can't really see a need for this though. Anyone with the need for that much resolution or compute power hopefully has a proper desktop.
I can think of 1 million reasons why someone would need a resolution like this.
1920 X 1080 isn't d!ck; its not enough to run browsers side by side and see everything, especially some new sites running in widescreen, or when you run multiple apps at the same time.
For work purposes this happens a lot, images from our CT scanner here at the hospital make 1080p screens seem like childs play, and docs like to view and work from home all the time. I have dozens of other examples in my head.

You have to power every pixel, so I hope the new nvidia chips are as power efficient as they claim. I can't really see a need for this though. Anyone with the need for that much resolution or compute power hopefully has a proper desktop. Otherwise they will have to keep this on a chill mat perpetually plugged in. Although I see Mac pros used for nothing but Facebook so what do I know.

Imagine my dismay when I am told to source a MacBook Pro for Managers within my company when all they do is open pdf's and send emails.

This looks awesome however my experience with gaming laptops has always been that they become obsolete far quicker than desktops, and for the price you can always build a absolutely stonking desktop! That high res screen will be a party trick for playboys with too much money, real life applications of it will be next to none. As already said, the FPS counter will hit rock bottom with the 3k resolution switched on. It is cool though, I wish I was a playboy with too much money! ;)

The screen will be cool and I await to see the GPU choice. Since its a 15 inch model, I doubt they are going to be the GTX 780 (Or its replacement) due to space/power concerns (I will be impressed if they do). This may then limit what it can do if it does not have the correct amount of power in the GPU to perform with the screen.

But you can always change the game Resolution and drop the graphics if nothing else. Most people who buy a laptop know they are not going to be running all games on ultra (Unless you buy a CFX/SLI Gaming Laptop).

2,880 x 1,620 is an excellent resolution for a workstation, but that seems like a bit much for a gaming laptop.

I'm torn... Liking the potential resolution bump, but it seems like a waste on a 15" laptop screen. While I agree with @amstech that even 1080p is becoming not enough for usable work resolution these days, squeezing more resolution on the same screen can become an eyesight killer. I'd rather keep a 15" screen at a nice readable resolution, and then tag on an external monitor for side-by-side work (which is how I am set up at work and home).

That's one thing I'm liking about this laptop - drive 3 external screens? Yes please! I could use another 27" work monitor to throw my code on :)

The screen will be cool and I await to see the GPU choice. Since its a 15 inch model, I doubt they are going to be the GTX 780 (Or its replacement) due to space/power concerns (I will be impressed if they do). This may then limit what it can do if it does not have the correct amount of power in the GPU to perform with the screen.

But you can always change the game Resolution and drop the graphics if nothing else. Most people who buy a laptop know they are not going to be running all games on ultra (Unless you buy a CFX/SLI Gaming Laptop).
GTX 860M... less than a HD 7790 (referring to the desktop card) in performance from what I can tell.

Quite low spec relatively speaking but should smash integrated. It might struggle for 1080p with all the bells and whistles for some titles.

Back