Multiple BSODs on Win7 x64

velinath

I've been getting BSODs on my custom-built PC for a couple of months now. They include, but are not limited to, system service fault (exception, maybe? Not sure), IRQL not less or equal to, and page fault in non paged area.

The drivers listed as causing the issue include, among others, nVidia/DirectX drivers, usbaudio.sys, and NTFS.

The computer will sometimes fail to boot after one of these bluescreens, and I have also had the BIOS freeze on me occasionally.

I've taken the steps in the stickied thread as well as the following:

-Reformatted my computer entirely
-Run HDAT2 on the hard drive (no errors)
-Replaced power supply
-Swapped graphics cards
-Flashed BIOS to newest version
-Updated drivers for ALL hardware

I cannot currently provide minidumps as my computer just bluescreened and is refusing to turn on.

Are there any suggestions as to what might be causing this issue?

EDIT: in my BIOS, it's showing my processor idling around 57 Celsius. I have an AMD Phenom II x6. This doesn't seem normal - could this be my culprit?

I would suggest testing the memory using something like memtest (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso). Boot the computer w/ it and let it do it's thing.

If you get errors w/ all the RAM in place, then test it stick by stick to narrow down the problem.

Sorry, I haven't read the sticke yet. You're getting BSOD w/ the basic system w/ no other peripherals attached (usb devices, printer, etc.)?

Minor bump for victory. Mainly, I'm wondering if a 57C idle temp in the BIOS for an AMD Phenom II X6 indicates that it's going over the rated maximum for the processor while I'm in Windows and causing bluescreen - would a processor shutting down cause this array of BSOD errors?

Not certain about relationship between CPU temp & BSOD msg you'e been getting, I've been fortunate enough that I haven't encounter that problem. 57C sounds a bit warm, but I don't know the ambient temp. From my reading, at the typical 25C room temp, the CPU temp will be in the 40's C at idle w/ the stock cooler. Is that what you're using? Have you tried running Prime95 or other CPU stress test to see how warm it gets?

I am at idle with stock cooling.

I am not running stress tests at this point because the rated maximum on an AMD chip is 62 Celsius - if it's sitting at 57 in the BIOS idling, I'm concerned that even starting things up would pop it over that 62 mark.

Have you tried reapplying the thermal paste (remove the old stuff first) to see whether that lowers the idle temp?

I forgot to ask whether you're getting BSOD when the computer is @ idle or if they happen while gaming or other tasks that require high CPU usage.

I have some thermal paste on order. BSODs can happen either under load or sitting idle. I can usually let it sit for a while if it's not doing anything, but either way it will eventually bluescreen.

Back