Multiple cases of BSODs

wrthlsscrture

Hi, I have an MSI GV62 8RC. For the first 2 months, there was no system-related issue whatsoever.

Fast forward to last week, when I was playing NFSMW 2012, I suddenly got a BSOD for just a split second, and good thing my eyes are fast, because there was no stop code. There was only the :( and the Your PC ran into a problem sort of thing, no percentage and no stop code.

After that, my computer booted up, then it showed me a screen that shows:

>>Checking Media Presence......
>>Media Present......
>>Start PXE over IPv4.

Then, after a minute, IPv4 becomes IPv6. Then, after the IPv6 thing, it shows me the BIOS options. I go on to save the changes and reset. (I didn't make any changes)

After that, my computer booted up properly. I then proceed to ask a question to the MSI support team. While I was writing my question, I got the BSOD again for a split second, same as the previous, no stop code. But, this time, it was not checking the media presence. It showed this message instead:

[CENTER]Windows Boot Manager[/CENTER]
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problems:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: An unexpected error has occured.

I just pressed escape and then it went to the BIOS again automatically. Saved changes (again, I didn't change anything), then booted Windows again.

I tried updating the BIOS from E16JFIMS.10A to 10B and never got any BSODs again.

But yesterday, I was just playing some Far Cry 5 when I got a BSOD. This time, thankfully, has a stop code. The stop code was UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION. Also, the error lasted for about 30 seconds. After that, my PC booted up again, then the Checking Media Presence screen is back. Then, just like before, I booted my PC again.

Now, I got the same situation as yesterday. No need to type it again.

I asked the MSI Support the question last week, and they emailed me back with this message:

The information on the screen often refers to the laptop did not find a bootable device. And it may access the BIOS after the reboot.
Does the laptop can boot into OS now or it directly accesses the BIOS? We highly recommend you backup personal data if you can successfully access Windows.

If you cannot access Windows, please try the steps below.
Perform Automatic Repair using Windows 10 installation media which can be downloaded from the link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Refer to the steps below to perform an Automatic Repair:
Insert the installation USB media and boot from it.
In the Windows Setup page, select the language to install, Time and currency format and the keyboard or input method and click next button.
Click on Repair your computer and select Troubleshoot.
Click Startup Repair and select the operating system.
You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose from. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.
You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.
Follow the instructions.

Thanks & Best Regards,
MSI Notebook Technical Application Department

"Does the laptop can boot into OS now or it directly accesses the BIOS?"
I can boot into the OS perfectly fine now. The BSODs happens randomly.

Since I can boot into OS, do I need to perform and Automatic Repair?

Thank you for reading. I will do anything that you reply, but please provide an explanation as to why.

Edit: Here are some quick specs.
CPU: i5-8300H
GPU: GTX 1050 2GB and Intel UHD Graphics 630 (switchable thanks to NVIDIA Optimus)
Storage: WD Blue 1TB WD10SPZX and ADATA XPG SX6000NP
RAM: 8GB DDR4-2666
BIOS Version: E16JFIMS.10B
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends

Last edited:
Since this is clearly under warranty if you bought new just a few months ago, I would continue to work with MSI. Take the steps they recommend & keep careful notes. If the problem does not resolve, it may require an RMA. Otherwise, you run the risk of 'too many cooks'.

You might take a look at 'reliability history' to see if that provides any insight. You might also want to check SMART for status of your storage.

Run memtest86, download from memtest86.com. Your issue may be related to a bad memory address in one of the RAM sticks.

Back