Multiple Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

digifreak04450

Ive been learning how to setup multiple harddrives but im haveing problems. do they both have to be on the same ribbon cable? ive set the jumpers (one doesnt have jumpers) the ribbon cable is just to small =/ any advice, if i cant use 2 cables then ill have to redo my entire pc

well im still hooking them up this is my problem my computer that im installing it into is small i just need to know right now if i can install 2 harddrives with 2 different cables?

i can come back here for help if the cpu doesnt recognise them :)

Assuming you are talking IDE drives.

Yes, but you obviously need IDE controller spots to plug them into. If they aren't on the same cable but are the only drives on that cable, they both need to be set to master.

IDE you can get 4 in

IDE 1 (it might have IDE 0 instead)
Primary - Master - HDD1 set it to Master - Ribbon 0
Primary - Slave - HDD2 set it to Slave - Ribbon 1

IDE 2 (it might have IDE1 instead)
Secondary - Master - HDD3 set it to Master - Ribbon 0
Secondary - Slave - HDD4 set it to Slave - Ribbon 1

Cables are different make sure the red line is facing to the right or use the knoch and connect them that way.

CS - Cable Select the system is suppose to figure out what you have and put it in the right order but you can't depend on that method. Just to manually.

thx for the help guys im still learning how to put computers together :) so i now i have to setup the BIOS correct? is therea tutorial already made in the forums about it?

Do you know how to clear your CMOS?
If not, then the easiest way to tech is to tell you to remove the battery on the MOBO (motherboard) Unplug the power first, then remove the battery and wait 15 minutes then put the battery back on the MOBO. If you have connected the HDDs right they system should see all the HDDs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back