My CD-Rom at work wont work

By misangelus
Jan 15, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It wont read or recongize anything when i put any software or music cd in the drive. Please help. thanks
  2. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge Newcomer, in training Posts: 137

Well you can always take your CDROM out and take it apart to clean the lens up a bit, that usually takes care of the problem, but that can be tricky if you don't know what your doing.

It sounds to me like your CDROM is bad.

I don't know what you cash flow is but there really not expensive at all if you do have to put in a new one.

Good luck.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Try checking the cables, at the motherboard, and on the drive, as they could have slipped out somehow. After checking them thoroughtly, I would assume that the drive is bad. Just get a new one, they are no more than 20 dollars brand new. Check ebay or a local computer shop.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

To take another view based on this limited information - perhaps his work has just disabled access to that drive for its employees.
  5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

That could be, but I'm not sure why a company would disallow employees to use their drives. I would think they are pretty important for daily operations. But maybe they have everything they need on the network, who knows. Good point SNGX
  6. misangelus

misangelus Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the help. I will check the cables and see whats going on and if its a bad cd rom then i will get my boss to replace it. Thanks again.

Virginia
  7. tripleione

tripleione Newcomer, in training Posts: 181

If your cables aren't UDMA-capable, you might try enabling PIO transfers on your drive. It will be a lot slower and use more CPU time, but your drive will work at least.

Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA ATAPI controllers -> Secondary IDE channel -> Advanced Settings

Change Primary device to PIO mode only.
  8. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

i agree, i expect the drive has just been disabled but if it hasn't then you can try using a lens-claner cd first before replacing the whole thing.
  9. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,383   +205

If you have to buy a plain cd-rom drive, they are dirt cheap. At newegg.com they are about $13 to $15 plus shipping and tax (if any).

By the way, if you use the earphone jack on the front of the cd-rom drive itself, note that not all replacement cd-rom drives come with an earphone jack anymore. Some still do, so just something to watch for maybe.
  10. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Did you check this thread's date? :haha:

January 15 2004 :haha:
  11. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,383   +205

Don't you just hate when that happens? :) Maybe I should add that to the things-you-hate thread.

12. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

oh yeah haha might be a bit out of date now :D
  13. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

A little bit outdated :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.