My Compaq has A Bestec PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - Are you absolutely sure your compaq has an agp slot?

2 - I would advise fitting a good psu for a graphics card like that even if it wasn't bestec.

Yes. I've opened up the case millions of times, and the mobo I have doesn't support AGP. Now, could I just put the GPU straight in and not have problems?

Hmmm, not an easy question to answer. The best thing to do is have a look in the bios to see if there are any options to disable onboard video. Don't actually try them until you have the new card tho.

Oh, don't worry, the bios is set to automatically boot the 1st video device in the PCI slot...Unlike other BIOSes, mine has 2 options: PCI and Onboard, and by default it's set to PCI. I already know that before I install the card I will have to disable the onboard device in Device Manager( I read it on here of course). With all that said and done, would my PSU be able to handle the relatively small increased load (I heard that most PCI devices use little power...)

With it being a bestec i personally would bin it and put a better one in, but it's entirely up to you.

But, could I still run the external GPU (BFG FX 5500 PCI) without any problems with the current PSU and all of the installed components? Considering that there is a lot of dust in the case, should I clean it out, and if yes, what can I use to accomplilsh that?

I stand by my previous post.

I will say this as plainly as possible. Bestec psu's are known for causing problems. Don't risk it!!!

You can probably run it without problems, but who knows for how long. Like rik says, don't risk it. You can get a FSP 350watt for about $40 at newegg.

It's worth it for piece of mind. Just think how much more you would have to spend if your psu blows and takes a few components with it.

But c, I'm po, I already got da card, I don't wanna wait 1 more year b4 I can put da card in, and I can't spend ani mo money....

The way I see it, it's your decision. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you might be sol. If you don't want to gamble, you'll have to wait. If you don't want to wait......well, we all don't always get what we want.

Where can I find a "cheap" can of air? I went to Office Depot to pick a can up, and when I saw the price (10$ for a tiny azz can), I just walked out of the store.

It will blow most of the dust out I'm sure. It would help to do it in a well ventilated area since the dust has to go somewhere.

You don't happen to have access to a compressor do you? For example, since one of my hobbies is auto mechanics, I have a 5hp compressor in the garage to run power tools (impact wrenches, etc.). Of course, you would have to use the regulator and bring down the operating pressure to a couple of psi. I realize most people don't have one of these things handy but I mention it just in case.

Edit: I forgot to mention, naturally you remove the side of the case first.

Ok, slash the word cheap out of my sentence. I guess they're more expensive then I remember.

EDIT: Nevermind, mailpup just said my compressor idea.

I have a Compaq Presario here that is about 5 years old and it has a Bestec power supply. It is working fine. I think that Emachines buys parts I consider to be "seconds". Seconds means that the part was manufactured and it didn't pass some of the quality control tests that guarantee proper operation. These "bad" parts are sold to less than honest companies that like to cheat the public, at very low prices

Hey guys, I got that GFX card for Christmas, and my grandma even got me a can of air! So, how do I clean the PSU? Do I blow the air from the inside of the case (where the vents are) or from the outside of the case (where the PSU fan is)? Would this extend the life of my PSU? Would it help it to handle the slightly increased power reqiurements?

you can clean however you want. just remember to keep the can upright. most power supplies can be effectively cleaned from both sides, just remember that all the dust is going to come out the other end. dusting your PSU will not increase it's power output, but can allow for better cooling once the heatsinks and heat-generating parts have been cleaned of dust. better cooling, in turn, can increase the supply's life span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back