My computer beeps and doesn't turn on, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP Pro on it. It's only a year and a few months old.

Anyway, a few months ago, I turned on the computer and instead of loading properly, it beeped and nothing showed up on my computer screen. And all I could hear after the beeping was the fan, which I noticed to be abnormal since the machine makes its usual running sounds. So, I opened up the computer and saw that one of the metal strips that covers an unused drive space was loose, so I tightened it back into place, closed up the computer and when I turned it on, all was well.

Now, just a few days ago, the same thing happened except nothing I did could make my computer turn back on. I tightened the metal strips, drives, checked all plugs, etc only to find out that whenever I pressed the power button the green light goes on, the beeping happens, but the computer will not turn on and function. All I still hear is the fan on inside the computer.
Please help. :(

Does the beeping stop after a certain number of beeps each time? If so, count the beeps and refer to the online help available through the PC manufacturer. It's possible the movement when you opened it up caused the machine to work again and was not related to the metal strip. (possible). If you have more than one ram module, try each one separately. This may single out a bad one. If there is any way that you can borrow a friend's ram memory module(s) try different ram. Almost every time I've had the beeping problem, it has been ram related.

actually, each time i turn it on it beeps 6 times. i'll try looking up the manufacture online, then. thank you. hopefully, they'll be able to able me further. thanks again.

You are experiencing BIOS beeps which indicate some kind of hardware failure. Go to the GUIDES forum (second page) and read the BIOS beep guide.

i figured out and solved the problem last night after finally getting into contact with dell online. turns out i just had to reseat the memory. thank you guys so much for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back