My computer keeps crashing with "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" and when I reboot says "No bootable device found"

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a 900GB HDD, 8GB of RAM and an Intel i7-5500U CPU. I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1.

Over the last couple of weeks, I would occasionally get a BSOD with the error "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" or something similar. I kind of just shrugged it off even though I probably shouldn't have. Flash forward to last night, the same thing happens with my laptop. I turn it off and get an error I don't really remember (something about there not being a boot device detected and to insert a disk and restart the computer), and I get really confused. I restart and all I see is the Toshiba logo, and then a screen saying "No boot device found".

Eventually I manage to boot my device in Automatic Recovery, and from there I can simply continue to Windows and it works fine. I check my hard disk health and it seems fine, I started defragging my hard drive, tried to find any driver updates and search for more solutions.

Now I fell asleep with my computer on last night (lol) and when I wake up I'm back at the screen that says "No boot device found". I try to do the same thing and boot in Automatic Recovery and continue but it doesn't work. I restart aimlessly for a little bit and try to do it again, and this time it lets me continue to Windows.

Do you know if backing up my files and resetting my laptop would work? So that personal files are deleted but all apps and everything stay the same.

First make backup.
Reset might work, especially if merely a corrupted boot record....then again might not.

Your machine is about 5 years old? You may wish to replace HDD.

Could be some bad sectors, try to backup the data and change the hard drive or try using hard disk sentinel to see the disk status

Back