My computer will not start up

By woolybubs
Jan 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. First off, I am not really computer savvy, so I do not know all the lingo or those kind of things. I have a dell desktop with windows 7. I have noticed for the past two days that my computer was running a bit slow, and firefox stopped responding twice but then worked fine. This morning I went to turn on my computer and it goes to where I pick a user and I put in my password, then it didn't do anything when I pushed enter; I clicked on it with the mouse and it still did nothing. I then restarted the computer and not it is just staying on the grey screen that says windows 7 at the bottom. The mouse error is there too but it doesn't do anything else.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,461   +135

Take the computer to a friend that repairs computers or a retail computer shop for repair
  3. woolybubs

woolybubs Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

That was kind of what I was thinking, but was wondering if there was something simple that it could be.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,042   +224

try booting into Safe Mode by striking F8 once per second

should give you a b/w vga screen to choose Start in Safe Mode - - continue there if possible.

If that works, then there's things we might try here to save you the $$/time of a visit to the repair shop.
  5. Tmagic650

Yeah Jobeard go for it... I really don't think woolybubs is up for this though :)
  6. woolybubs

f8 did not do anything
  7. Tmagic650

Off to the repair shop we go... No friends that understand computers better than you, that can help here? Your computer is definitely sick :suspiciou
  8. woolybubs

I have a family friend that can look at it. Thank you.
  9. Tmagic650

If you friend has questions, we can probably help

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.