TechSpot

My computer won't start.

By clueless1
Apr 13, 2006
  1. I have a V2 Premier desktop. (about 5 yrs. old) A few weeks ago I noticed a strange noise which I think was the fan when I first started my computer. Yesterday, I started my computer and it stayed on for approx. 45 sec. to a minute. It then shut down with no warning. I started it again and it stayed on for about 30 sec. I waited awhile, and started it again and it ran for approx. an hour before shutting down. It would not start after that. I took the power supply in and it checked BAD. I bought a new one. My old one was a wimpy 150 watt and they didn't even carry those, so I bought what they had which is a 450 watt. Now, when I attempt to power up, the lights on the front of the tower light for a second, the LED on the motherboard lights for a second and the fan spins for a second and then it shuts down. In order to get power back to the unit, I have to turn the main switch off and back on again. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be?
    Thanks,
    Clueless1

2. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

-take extra attention to the cpu heatsink and fan - when you turn the power on does it spin up? maybe extreamly cloged up with dust etc?
    - check your motherboard documentation on the recomended Amps rating for the PSU to output
    - complete pc specs please

with pc unplugged from the mains:
    - touch the pc case to discharge any static built up in your body.
    - clean out your pc from dust. You can use a compressed air (at petrol stations for doing the tyres or a can of compressed air, not deoderant cans or anything of sort) or a vaccum cleaner
    - check all your wireing and power connectors are on properly, no shorting to anything
    - reset the CMOS by jumper or taking the battery out for a few seconds
    - check that the PSU is set to your country/area voltage rating (240v/120v)

if still no go:
    unplug all devices exept the basic so you should have: motherboard, psu, video, cpu and sound. power up and see if you can access the bios. check all settings are correct, in hardware monitors, check temperatures not hot (20-40 good, 50-60 warm/hot, 60+ DANGER!!!) if it is note which one and post back. check also the voltage given with the PSU on the same screen.
    If all ok, start plugging in 1 device at a time, untill you find the culprit.

3. clueless1

clueless1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks.

Thanks a lot for the info. Will try these things and see what happens.

Clueless1

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.