My Dell Dimension 2400 PC Won't Turn On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if you guys have any insight as to what's the problem here. I left my computer on (as I always do) and went to work. When I came back home, I found my computer off. I thought to myself, "hmm..that's weird, I know nobody comes into my room or they BETTER NOT...stupid bratty little sister..." Then as I tried to turn it on, it won't turn on. Nothing. Not even a small sign of life.

I took the casing shell off, and tested the power supply. The power supply was okay. I was disappointed when I found out the power supply was okay because that being the one obvious flaw, I don't know what's wrong with my computer anymore. Do any of you guys have any ideas as to what's going on? I will tell you that I leave my computer on for long periods of time which is probably something I shouldn't be doing from now on. Any help is appreciated.

How did you test the power supply???

Not sure of your level of expertise but no disrespect meant, you can only really test an atx power supply by connecting it to another Computer or MB setup on a workbench because the MB controlls the switching on of the power supply.

If you tried a new power supply on your system and you get nothing at all then you have a dead MB.

Its ok to leave your computer on for long periods so long as you' got good ventilation and good cooling fans does not run Hot all the time your pc can be ok.

not as yet.. try a few simple trouble shoot stuff: check for burns on the motherboard, any strange smells-especialy burnt ones on any of the components includig the psu, go to basics (vga/sound/mobo/cpu) and swap parts with someone and see if it works...

Usually if theres a power surge or something. In my case i just unplug the cord and plug it back in and it works just fine. Some power supplies have as witch in the back which you can switch.

Have you modded your computer at all? overclocked it?

If it was anything else but the motherboard you would get some lights on the mobo or the fans spinning.

There is just one light that goes on by the motherboard, and the fan does not spin at all. I think I'm just going to replace the motherboard and see what happens.

The way I understand it, Dell computers are picky about motherboards.

I've got a 2400 myself, and would dearly like to trade the MB for one with AGP or PCI-e. Celeron processor, ditto. :hotouch:

great idea changing motherboard.

You see, if any fans were spinning that means that the motherboard is working and you need to look at some other parts. But if the fans are not working then im pretty sure its the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back