My desktop background was changed and task manager doesn't work

By burchseed122
Jun 9, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My desktop background was changed to Warning: spyware threat has been detected and theres always this popup message that says your computer has been infected and when i click on it it takes me to a website and asks me to buy a virus scan and my computer is running slower than usual and everytime i try to use Task manager it says it has been disabled by system administrator and thers all these popups from internet explorer i use firefox though so please help me it would be greatly appreciated
  2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

Highjackthis Instructions
    • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
    • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
    • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
    • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.
  3. intense

intense Newcomer, in training Posts: 22

hey, I had the same exact problem as you. you should do the 8 steps (http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html) which really helped me remove all the malware (just working on getting task manager to work now!). good luck!
    opps jsut found out that this topic was in june! my bad
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.