TechSpot

My download speed problems

By jason00300
Dec 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi I am just wondering why I get such slow download speeds when my internet is very good. I average around 300kb/sec but it fluctuates so much from under 100kb/sec- over 1mb/sec. Ive only seen it go as high as 1.4mb/sec correct me if im wrong but i do believe i should still get a higher download speed? below is a link to my speedtest .net....... 48mbits /sec download speed, 2.89 up speed, 18 ping

speedtest.net/result/ 1589552537.png
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Could be your provider. With whom or what service are you connected?
    Also, it could be right there on your system. As you know, the actual usable speed is limited by the slowest component... software, memory, motherboard, etc.
    Can you try it at a friend or other known connection that you know to be fast, as a first step?
  3. jason00300

jason00300 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My internet provider is shaw. I dont have any friends that have close to the same mbits/sec dl speed. The highest is 10 mbits and i get to about 1mb/sec dl speed using my computer at their house.

h10025.www1.hp. com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=fe&docname=c01804106&lc=en&product=4005946 <---- link to my computer specs. but i have upgraded graphics card and power supply

Motherboard
    MS-7548 (Aspen)
    Processor
    Phenom X4 9650
    Processor upgrade information
    Memory
    8 GB
    Video graphics
    ATI Radeon HD4600 series
    Sound/Audio
    Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio
    TV-Tuner
    Hauppauge NTSC and ATSC
    Networking
    LAN: 10-Base-T
    802.11 b/g wireless USB adapter card
    Hard drive
    750 GB
    CD/DVD disc drive
    Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe Technology drive
    Memory Card Reader
    15-in-1 multimedia card reader with passive IR receiver
    Computer Case
    Mid-size ATX
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You have partially answered your own question. Nothing can be done here, I suspect. Time to have some on-site testing of your system to see what may be awry.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.