TechSpot

My DVD is not reading DVDs , but it reads CDs

By sudheerarimbra
Sep 7, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi,

My DVD-ROM (HL-DT-ST- DVD-ROM GDR8161B) is not reading DVDs, but it reads CDs, My computer is Compaq presario 6171, OS Windows XP. it was reading DVDs before. but gradually it stoped reading DVDs (both software and Movies). pls help me.

Thanks

Sudheer.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please would you take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

In answer to your problem. Your dvd rom`s laser is dying. Hence the gradual decrease in your dvd rom`s performance.

You need to replace your dvd rom. They`re only cheap, and this will undoubtedly solve your problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. Geek Squad #851

Geek Squad #851 TS Rookie

If your drive reads cd's, but not dvd's That indicates that the hardware works fine. You will need to edit the registry inorder to fix this problem.

1) click the start menu
    2) click on "run"
    3) type "regedit" and click ok
    4) go to string key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5) delete "upper filters" and "lower filters in the right side window.
    6) right click my computer in the start menu.
    7) click properties
    8) go to the hardware tab
    9) click device manager
    10) expand the dvd/cdrom drives
    11) right click the dvd rom and click uninstall
    12) restart computer

after restarting, windows should automatically install a clean ROM drive and it should read DVDs just fine if you have the correct DVD decoders.
  4. chef_mercer2003

chef_mercer2003 TS Rookie

I`m having the same problem.. What would cause the registry to change and what are those filters for??? Mine was working perfectly then about an hour later it wouldn`t work. Except for the cd part.. Just curious, mine is still under warranty and less then a year old..
  5. chef_mercer2003

chef_mercer2003 TS Rookie

Ok, I just updated my firmware and now my dvd burner and player works perfectly..
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.