My Gateway M-6834 laptop dosn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway M-6834 Notebook and it just stopped working. When i turn it on, the fan works but it doesn't boot. The power indicator turns on, the wireless indicator also turns on even if the wireless is off. I tried removing the battery and insert it back after a while. But that was no solution. Can anybody tell me what the problem is and what i should do about it. Thanks.

Try external display

Maybe your LCD's backlight fluorescent is gone. So it will on but you will see no picture. To rule this out (on confirm) connect any external display (capable your laptops resolution) and put laptop in "display clone " mode (Fn key + F? key on your keyboard). I hope this is the case since backlight fluorescent is replaceable.

Ozmaia

Either an inverter for the screen, or the hard drive has gone bad.
Try rebooting to SAFE MODE by pressing the <F8> key repeatedly about once per second as soon as you press the on switch. Can you hear the hard drive booting up? If you get anything at all on the screen in SAFE MODE, then it may be a problem with the monitor or driver. Otherwise, it is likely a failed memory module or hard drive.
The inverter can be replaced for as little as $15 to $30 and about 18 tiny screws, if you are handy with tools. Same with the hard drive. Your data may be a different issue.
If you have more than one memory module, take out one with plastic or rubber-gloved hands, and try booting with the other. Then reverse the process to try the other memory module. If neither memory module makes a difference, hope that it is only the screen inverter or the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back