My girlfriends computer keeps restarting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancé is having issues with her CPU. I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet, but I thought I would post this and get an idea as to what I’m in for.

This is all 2nd hand info from here.

The computer lags and restarts without warning when Norton is scanning. Once is reaches into the TEMP folders, it restarts the system. I had her go in and delete a large portion of the temp files. Everything created after her purchase of the computer.

The system came up with some sort of error message requesting she perform windows update. It ran through 68 different updates and installed them on her PC. Now when she reaches the main screen of XP and clicks to enter her password, the computer restarts over and over again.

If she holds F8 and boots in “Safe Mode” or “Last good config” everything loads fine.

Any ideas what the root of the problem could be?

I would run a full scandisk on the hard drive, make sure it doesn't have a data error in the temp folder area or otherwise. I've seen it before.

Also when it is in Normal mode, run the System File Checker. Click Start->Run->SFC /scannow->[enter].
You will need the XP CD in the drive (maybe).

Also check her error logs for anything suspicious. Right-Click My Computer->Manage-> Open each log and look for recent errors that happened about when she had a restart.

When the computer comes back up after a restart, does it pop up a message saying "Windows recovered from a serious error"? Does it ask to send an error report?

Lastly, you might try uninstalling any programs that were installed just before this happened, if there was any. Or any hardware.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back