TechSpot

My GPU fan is making this, awful noise

By kurisu7885
Aug 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Well, in the winter I got myself a new PC. A month later I picked up an Nividia Galaxy Geforce 210 for the system so I could do some gaming.

The card is not even a month older than the PC itself, which isn't even a year oldm and I'm getting this extremely irritating rattle from the fan. I've taken a look and have confirmed that it is indeed that exact fan. It's not creating any more vibration, which is at least good.

And I have blown compressed air into it to try and clean it out. Still the noise persists.

It's there anything I can do to get this to stop, as it gets even louder than my PC speakers. Shutting down a moment and restarting seemed to fix it yesterday, but now no such luck, and I don't want to shell out more cash for a GPU this soon or worse use the integrated GPU.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,980   +362

It's less than a year old so it should still be under warranty. I would initiate the RMA (return merchandise authorization) process and return it to Galaxy for repair or replacement. You will have to pay for shipping to Galaxy but that's better than buying a whole new card.

3. kurisu7885

kurisu7885 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Makes sense to me I suppose. It's quieted down after running a while, but, eh, I dunno.

4. kurisu7885

Ok, I left for a bit and came back ,the sound seems ot have quieted down, I'm thinking it needs cleaning or lubrication.

5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

you could always replace the cooler with a quieter aftermarket solution

6. kurisu7885

I was looking at cooling fans the other day.

7. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 729

8. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

it may be worth it to swap the cooler if you can find something cheap and practical.

9. kurisu7885

Just an update, the shop honored the warranty and I got it replaced easily.