My laptop fan is running NON STOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

suntaxis

My laptop fan is running non stop, even when I use 10% or less CPU and even when I leave it alone for hours at a time. I come back, and it's still running. But the computer isn't even hot. Almost as soon as I turn my laptop on, the fan starts up and never stops. It's overheated a few times recently, resulting in spontaneous shut down of the machine all together. I had to wait a few minutes before I started it back up, and when I did, the fan started up almost immediately. Also, I set it to go into stand by mode on its own after an hour of non-use, and then into hibernation mode after 2 hours of non-use. But a few months ago, it stopped doing it on its own, and now I have to get up in the middle of the night and turn it off myself, for fear that the fan will run itself out. Keep in mind that this is an 8 month old laptop from Gateway.

gamingguy27 said:
Laptop fans are controlled by temperature, laptops are normally quite hot to say the least so if you want the fan to slow down you need some more cooling.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004
Is antecs solution to laptop cooling.

Also laptops dont always function correctly when hot so that may be the cause of some problems.

Alex.
]

mmmhmmm i agree, i have a laptop and after about 3 minutes the bottom is EXTREMELY HOT, but in your case your fan is on even if your laptop isnt hot, that could be a problem.

If the fan is always on the temp sensor could be broken, or you do not have power saving enabled some laptops have options to optimize power comsuption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back