My laptop has a much slower internet connection than others. What's going on?

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11S. Windows 8. Chrome.

I live in a university residence, and so I have no access to the modem and therefore have no wire to connect with. I use wifi only.

According to speedtest.net:
Ping: 37 ms
Download speed: 1.09 Mpbs
Upload speed: 2.62 Mpbs

My link speed is 14.5 Mpbs.

As you can imagine, downloading things takes forever. Youtube videos are blurry for a while before clearing up, and have split-second black screen periodically. Generally, the internet connection is slow on my laptop. But when I use other peoples' laptops in the same room, it's much faster.

I have CCleaner, Avast, and Malwarebytes. I clean and scan my laptop regularly.

Possibly unrelated factors: Windows Defender doesn't turn on. I had another program though, so I didn't think this was a problem until something I read on the internet made me want to turn it on. I uninstalled the said program so it wouldn't conflict with Windows Defender, but it still refuses to turn on. So as of now I have neither.
I also have about 16GB of space left (lots of movies).

So what could the problem be? How can I fix this?

"Lots of movies".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you pirated a whole bunch of movies on the campus network.

It's probably likely that campus IT throttled your connection so you don't use up so much data. I'd give it 8 months of clean web habits, and then talk to IT and say you have a slow connection ...

"Lots of movies".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you pirated a whole bunch of movies on the campus network.

It's probably likely that campus IT throttled your connection so you don't use up so much data. I'd give it 8 months of clean web habits, and then talk to IT and say you have a slow connection ...

No, I downloaded this somewhere else (in another country, actually)

Remove Avast, Windows 8 has its own protection software, and any other 3rd party software can slow the computer down. Also make sure that you have updated to Windows 8.1 and you have all the available updates applied...

Alright, as above, remove anything that can block/throttle the connection.

Then open up Resource Monitor, hop on over to the Network section, and see if anything is chewing up data.

If you are still getting slow speeds, perhaps talking to campus IT is all that is left.

Back