My laptop will not start even though I replaced the BIOS battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a samsung Q70 laptop, only a year and a half old. The other day I turned, and the power switch was illuminated with the battery led on as well, but the screen just stayed blank, won't even go to the boot screen. So I disconnect the AC power, take out the battery, hold down the power button to relase any internal energy, and put the battery back on, and its working!

However, the next morning the same problem occured, so I did the same thing again, but with no result. So not knowing much on computers I take it to my local computer shop, whp diagnose the problem that the BIOS battery was down or exhausted, so they replaced, but the same problem still happens, it just wont turn on.

I have also tried replacing and testing other memory modules they all seem fine and so does mine in other laptops. Whats worse is that my laptop still has the same problem but it sometimes bleeps 3 times and all my leds flash quick, but there is nothing wrong with my memory or anything else.

Any solutions please?

a bios battery would not cause such a fault and any shop that says so is incompetent.
You have a fault either in the power supply or the power regulator internally.
Try another power pack first.

quite strange conclusion of the service-center :)
try to change memory modules. the PSU seems to be ok if you have a red/green battery led, while connected the PSU to laptop.

first lol I need to know the name of the shop please post. Now remove part by part and test the laptop. But first try to connect your laptop to a monitor to see if it works that way, I just want to make sure it is not a problem with your screen.

ex: remove the cd rom drive then turn it on. if it does not work then leave the cd rom drive out and go to the next item such as the hard drive and so on till you get to the main board.

quite strange conclusion of the service-center :)
try to change memory modules. the PSU seems to be ok if you have a red/green battery led, while connected the PSU to laptop.
memory modules also would not cause such a fault. He would get a bios beep or a no-post error, but the system would attempt to boot.

... but the 8400GS can do such mess. this is the weak thing of all laptops. dismantle laptop and check if this chip located at removable videocard(i suspect that it doesn't :) )

Nope your problems is your graphics card drivers. I had the same thing happen with my 8400 M GT. Try the newest Nvidia drivers and do the following if necessary (they refuse to install because of oem agreement)

If it refuses to install on your computer do the following:

1. Go to [seven dash zip dot org] and download the win 32 binary or 64 bit binary if you have 64 bit windows.

2. Install 7-zip.

3. Right click your already downloaded driver and look for the "7-zip" menu.

4. click on extract to folder and 7zip will extract the contents of the executable into a folder of the same name of the executable file.

5. Enter the Windows Control Panel.

6. Open up the "Device Manager"

7. Look for "Display Adapters"

8. Locate your Nvidia card (should be the only one).

9. Right Click your card and click "update driver."

10. A dialog will pop up. You want to select "Browse my computer for drivers"

11. On the next page you want to select "Let me pick from a list of drivers..."

12. In the next dialog hit the "have disk" button.

13. Finally at this point you want to put it to exactly where you extracted your drivers earlier. (the folder that 7zip created)

14. NvDisp.inf should automatically be selected but if not then find it and select it.

15. Click ok after selecting NvDisp.inf, and continue on to the next screen.

16. You should see a list of different Nvidia cards now, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which you pick but incase it does then select "8600 GT" (the second one) as that is what i always pick and it works fine for Sony Vaio with an 8400 M GT and 64 bit Windows.

17. Don't worry about any stupid Windows prompt. You should be fine now. Just reboot and hope it works. Make sure you create a restore point incase it doesn't though because without a proper driver you'll have no display.... But again this works for me no problem at all except for with the earliest beta 8 series drivers.

My problem was exactly like yours with those early drivers. I would shut my laptop lid to let the computer sleep but when I would open it I would get no power to the screen! The latest drivers alleviated that problem. Hope it works for you.

Hmm that is interesting. I am not sure if it's like this for all laptops but with my wife's gateway if she accidentally presses the "lcd/vga/both" key combination it will show nothing if it's on the "vga" setting until you press the button once or twice more (depends on the computer). I know it sounds quite simple but did you try hitting "FN+F7 (or whatever button on your keyboard has the screen picture on it" ?

[edit]
Could also be a loose connection between the motherboard and the lcd cable. Did you check that? Also If an external monitor is an option, and that works for you then your problem could be your lcd screen.

if he cannot even get a splash screen on an an attempt to boot, he needs to reseat his video card. If that is still not a solution, then he has a hardware error. If the system will not power, then he has a power issue - either in the power pack, the rectifier, or the battery. Most laptops will still boot - even with a dead battery.

Well I don't know about you but the monitor connections that I have seen are quite small, and if a laptop gets accidentally dropped I would think it possible for that little connection to pop off. Other then that I pretty much agree with you. However, if the OP can get a signal to a VGA monitor then pretty much all of your solutions are rendered invalid. Having a VGA picture would show that the graphics card is ok, and if the computer makes it into Windows from that point it would almost definitely be something screen related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back