My Linksys WPC11 can't find the access point- Media disconnected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused:

Hi please help, because my wireless network is driving me MAD!!
I have a Belkin wireless modem/router which I bought last December, and a Linksys Networking card for a laptop. When I originally inserted the card into the PCI slot it immediately found the router and after configuring the IP addresses for the router and card I was connected to the internet. However over Christmas I was using my laptop at another location, which unlike my home, was an ad-hoc network (mine is infrastructure) and again the card found the network quickly and easily.

My problems began when I began using the laptop at home, as the card was unable to detect the access point, i.e. my router, and as I have the router configured to have ESSID enabled, the card would instead roam and connect to an ad-hoc network which I think may be the desktop computer I also have connected to the network. I have no idea why the card suddenly seems unable to find the router as the IP addresses are still the same. I have tried re-installing it, re-booting the router and updating the drivers of the network card. I have also tried changing the SSID and channel on both the router and network card but still to no avail.

So I tried the ipconfig command but this comes up:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Anna>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SNNECCI
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : linksys
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-5E-E4-A5-1F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20d:5eff:fee4:a51f%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 13 January 2005 21:45:22
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 03:14:07

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Instant Wireless Network PC
Card V3.0
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-25-02-8D-AF

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : linksys
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-02-02
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.2.2%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I don't quite know why it says that the media is disconnected as when I check on the device manager it says that card is enabled and working properly with no conflicts. I really don't know what else to try, please help!!

I see that many are having the media disconnected problem. I'm one of them. I'm unable to get the internet because when i repair I can't renew ip address. ipconfig states media disconnected. So far I haven't seen anyone's fix to their media disconnected problem. What are the possible reasons? I'm connected with a good signal. there are 3 pc's on this home network. other 2 work fine. Using a wireless broadband Linksys router. Problem pc uses linksys pci adapter. main pc has xp sp2. problem pc is xp1 other is laptop that gets internet fine. Internet was working fine then one day i couldn't get the internet. It said I was connected to the LAN. Not sure if I did something wrong to cause this. I'm inexperienced with computers as many of us are. Dhcp, firewalled,Nvidia nForce Networking controller. sending packets but receiving 0!!! it's set to auto obtain ip and dns's. My son is a programmer, but he hasn't figured it out yet. I do have a Linksys wireless-G network adapter but haven't tried using it without the broadband router. the broadband is model WRT54G. if anyone has ideas about media diconneced please let me know. thanks

Media Disconnected

EUREKA! I have shared all the misery in every tech forum regarding this problem not to mention hours on the phone with Linksys, Motorola, and HP - one of them is sending me a new adapter figuring that was the problem. But it isn't I figured it out!

The media disconnect message isn't a hardware problem! It's simply a status message telling you your media isn't MAKING a connection with the router. It's a config problem.

When I first set up my system, I don't recall when I was given the option to set up a MAC number or if it was assigned. Fortunately, I wrote it down. It's a number - xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

Go to Device Manager in XP
In the laptop or product you are adding to the network, Click Start > right click My Computer > left click properties > Hardware tab > Device manager > Network adapters > right click the wireless adapter > Properties > Locally administered MAC address Change it from none to the 12 digit number - (no dashes used) apply it (ok) and it worked instantly and I immediately got the connection.

I see on my other laptop that the adapter came preconfigured with a static MAC that doesn't match - I'll begin to get that changed over but thought I'd share the fix and logic so you can work through your errors.

JilleBean
I did it!

okay - I tried everything - Somehow my wireless Linksys wpc54g v2 card was causing some strange messages - (e.g. C++ device runtime error device terminated/ended error) or something like that - I could not get it to connet to my wrt54g v2 linksys router and I had the same "media disconnected" message unper ipconfig /all. I think the above post is correct that the message simply refers to a connection problem. I unistalled linsys software on the laptop, and failed miserably and repeatedly after reinstlling UNTIL I took out pci card, uninstalled software, THEN RESTARTED the laptop, then reinstalled software (remember - after restarting) and the reconnected pci card (BUT - I also notice linksys software for the pci card showed "mixed mode" for connection type and gave NO other option (e.g. G-0nly) - My wireless router was set to G-only - so I also changed the router (in its software configuration by going to url 192.168.1.1. on the main desktop pc) to "mixed mode" to try and give the damn software no excuse to no connect between the desktop amnd wireless laptop. I think I also turned off the firewall on the router but I am not sure that change stuck or made a difference - but it might have (??) - I then pushed in the PCI card "last" and voila - connected! Good luck to everyone - nasty problem. I suspect it was the mismatch of the router being set to g-only and the card as mixed - I wouldnt have thought that was it - but maybe it was??

media disconnected

I had same problem. Wireless connection OK. Everything fine. LAN wireless card OK. Could not connect using internet explorer.
Solution. Go IE/tools/internet options/connections/lan settings/uncheck all boxes.
go to lan connection in network places and be sure TCP/IP in properties is checked for obtain IP address automatically.
Go to network places and right click on local area connection and click on repair. System should reassign lan and and connect IE. Using the cmd ipconfig/renew will work and the "media disconnected" message will have disappeared.
You may have to disconnect power to modem to allow it to reset the IP address.
Hope this helps. It worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back