My monitor won't display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinum

Hey, Recently I've been trying new things with my gateway desktop. I tried putting in a 8400 gs graphics card in my computer. When I turned it on nothing showed so I took it out. Everything was working fine until I tried taking my old fan out and putting a new one in. I don't know why but still when ever I turn my computer on, my computer runs fine and the fans work fine, but I get no display.

Also I don't hear the sound that it's supposed to make when you turn it on. I tried plugging the VGA cord or whatever in the different slots but it doesn't show anything still.

You may have fried the motherboard... Try removing the CMOS battery. This is the silver "button" on the motherboard. Unplug the computer before you do this. Wait a minute or two and put the battery back in. Boot the computer

Hey Tmagic, I tried it but nothing happened, it still makes no beep that usually people hear. It sounds like it's powering up but then it goes back to silent.

"I tried taking my old fan out and putting a new one in"...

What fan? The one on top of the processor (or CPU) or a simple case fan?

That is the CPU cooling fan... If you took it off, you have fried the CPU and possibly the motherboard too

Are you sure? Because I bought a cooling fan called the Alpine 64 and your supposed to put it in. Sorry If I said something wrong about the fan I'm a little new to this.

Did you remove the metal heatsink from the CPU to install the fan? If you did, you would have to put new thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU

I don't think so. All I did was take the 2 side metal parts and make it so I could take out the fan. Then I did the same thing but put my old fan back when the computer wasn't displaying anything on the monitor.

A big clue:
"Everything was working fine until I tried taking my old fan out and putting a new one in"...

The CPU is gone... It takes a lot to burn a CPU... but messing with the CPU fan/heatsink by someone less knowledgeable with computers scares me

Ya I guess I have to get a new computer. Do you have any recommendations on a gaming computer for under 4,000? Btw, I'm only 12 so I'm getting started with this stuff.

Well you are doing pretty good for being only 12. Experience is what we all need... You can get a great gaming computer for well under $1200. Ask your parents to search with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back