My new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilFallenAngel

AMD 64 3700 939 San Diego Retail
1GB Kinston 400, came in a set of 2(not sure if its duel channel or not?)
36GB WD Raptor 10K
Antec Lanboy Tower
Anter True Power 2 550W SLi PS (what the heck is EPS?)
MSI DIAMOND PLUS 939
MSI 7800GT Retail
XP Pro OEM x64
Old floppy, 52x CD-ROM

Just wanted to let you guys know I found out the hard way, that you need a new SLI PS if you plan on getting a sli board and pci Express. I had just gotten a Antec TP BLUE 550 for my last upgrade a year ago and just found out I needed a different Power Supply. Still waiting on video card and PS but should have this rig done on monday.... currently have AMD 3200 barton, Antec True blue 550, MSI KT800 Socket A, 1GB of Corsair 400, Maxor 30GB 7200, MSI 5600XTD 8X AGP.

Should I put my new kinston on my old system (going to wife) or put it in my new rig. Not sure which is better kingston or corsair, but have had good results from both companies. Just asking for my new rig which would be best.

Nice system you're building there.

Just wanna ask why not put in a DVD ROM, or a burner? Waiting for blue-ray?

And also, 36gb HDD doesn't seem adequate these days, although it just depends on how much you need. Might want to add in a 200gb HDD, they're going for peanuts these days.

About the Dual Channel, I'm betting it is :D Just check the m/b, if the m/b has 4 slots for RAM (Especially if its coloured by pairs), chances are they are Dual Channel.

I don't play DVD's on my pc, have ps2 and 32' tv to do that. I only play games, and use for school so I dont need alot of space for other stuff. My thought is more simple, less trouble. I did have a creative CD-RW and A-Open DVD-Rom and both crapped out so just decided to keep using my sony 52x, which has worked for me for the last 4-6 yrs with no problems at all. If it breaks I will probally get another sony CD-ROM. I only use CD-ROM for like BattleField 2, Ghost Recon and Unreal Tournament 2004, plus any programs I need to install.

Has x64 gotten all the driver issues worked out? I'm sticking with regular XP until x64 gets 100% driver compatibility. The only thing I would add to that machine is 2 x 1GB of ram.

Actually hardly anyone would need more than 1gb ram. Gamers may see a minimal increase in performance, so unless you got the money to spend, I would advise against it.

A DVD ROM has more uses than just for DVD playback. Its a good way to handle data (I use so many DVDs in a usual week for data, its not funny. And I'm a medical student only, nothing to do with IT).

Newer games use DVDs, so that may generate some interest. And they're not much more expensive, so if your Sony 52x craps out (which is should one of these days, or else I'll only use Sony from now) you might just grab a DVD ROM.

I was just praising the lord for making single disk games at the start of the millenium :D Forget the "Please insert Disc 2" crap.

I suppose you can live with that.

When I got UT2004 it was in DVD format, it takes longer to install, but still got CD-ROM version due to DVD rom acting up at the time. But probally will get one in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back