My PC went dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my name is alanhardy2001 and am glad to be here, I hope you can help me.

I recently bought some new components for my PC a Motherboard and Dual core Intel processor.
I put them together fine and they worked great for about a month, I now have a problem.

I was using my system this morning like normal and everything seemed fine and working as it should.
I shut it down to move the tower on to a new table and expected everything to be fine. However it was not, for some unknown reason it is no longer working.

When i switched it back on, the power went through it as normal and the fans started, but nothing was coming on screen, I initilly thought it was the graphics card or memory but the computer would not even show the post. nothing what so ever came on the screen. It just died for some reason, power was going through the board as it was powering the fans but no life whatsoever from the system it self, no information on screen or beeps from it to indicate a problem.

I have swapped parts out into a spare PC i had put away, thinking one of them could be causing the problem and the parts are still working fine. That includes my graphics, hdd's, cd drives, and soundcard.

The board is a Gigabyte and the processor was a Intel Dual core 4500.
I have no idea what caused this or how to fix it.
Also the system had a fresh install of windows xp pro on it with all drivers installed fine.

One moment fine and then next time it was switched on, nothing dead.

Can anyone help me please

FMJ_Shadow

Sounds like Power Supply

Just in case:

Remove all power (power cord out)
Hold the computer ON button in for 30 Secs, then release
Re-insert power cord (securely)
Turn on

Still the same?
Test with another Power Supply (note: faulty Power Supplies can still look like they are working)

Thanks for reply, Its not the power supply as I am using it on another system and it has no problems with my spare board. When I checked the processor, after I left it for a short while, It was stone cold but the rest of the system had warmed up.

I also tried with a brand new power supply but still no joy

thats really odd how it wont work just because you moved it, the only logical explanation is a wire might of gotten knocked off while you moved your pc around. It might of been pure coincidence that something failed to work right on the day you moved your pc. While previous days that "something" was showing some sings of wear and tear.

All the parts were only a month old, I have built over 200 systems and none have failed like this, I have double checked all the wiring going in and out of the board and the the processor was clean. Nothing looks burned or damaged and as I said before all other parts are working fine in my spare system.

I'm completly confused as to why it suddenly died, I have to use a crappy 3.06 Ghz Intel until I either figure it out or buy more new stuff.

Remove and re-seat the RAM and video card. Ensure the mobo is still sitting correctly on the stand-offs. Check the back panel plate (audio ports, mouse/keyboard jack area) is still correctly positioned and is not shorting the mobo to the case.

Hi all I have manged to get the system going, I solved it by resetting the Bios using the jumper on the board.

Thanks to everyone for advice and help.

I thought that dispersing all power would have done that too.
Oh well, reset bios is good.
Thanks for the update :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back