TechSpot

My RAM was showing 4GB in POST, now it shows 3.2GB?

By Tommygunn
Feb 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. At the weekend I installed an Asus P5W DH Deluxe after memory problems with P5Q Deluxe. I installed my 4Gb of Corsair RAM and it was showing 4Gb during POST. However, in the past 24hrs it is displaying 3.2Gb with the remaining 800Mb going towards 'Appropriated Memory'.

Why has this suddenly happened? I've never seen it happen on my other P5W DH mobo or the P5Q Deluxe.

Tom.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,977   +1,487

Are you installing a 32-bit operating system?

A 32-bit operating system will not allow full use of your 4GB memory. If you want to use more than 3.2GB (give or take a few hundred MB), you will need a 64-bit operating system.
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 90

Yes, 32bit.
    I know what your saying but it said 4096Mb since Saturday then yesterday went to 3200Mb, no other lines of numbers or text during POST. I would definately haver noticed because I was messing.

Tom.
  4. Dawn1113

Dawn1113 TS Booster Posts: 375   +64

Have you added any new hardware to your system lately? Perhaps your mobo has appropriated memory for your graphics card or some other device. It's rather puzzling that it took 24 hours to do that, though. Is your BIOS updated?
  5. Tommygunn

Nope, the only thing that has been changed is the MB. I have updated the BIOS, yes, on Sunday or Monday.

Tom.
  6. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,256   +147

In your bios go to memory remaping and enable it.

Hope this helps
    Tommygunn and Dawn1113 like this.
  7. Tommygunn

It did! I now have 4096Mb.
    Many thanks.

Tom.
    fimbles likes this.
  8. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,256   +147

Happy you got it fixed, And thank you for the feedback :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.