Duron 800@960mhz
Abit KT7
Geforce 2 MX
SB Live! Value
384mb PC133
LG 12x Burner
Maxtor 40gig 7200RPM
Fuji 17gig 5400RPM

I want to drop around $500 canadian on my setup (Like $350 yankee bucks)....

Right now this is what I am planning on...

Radeon 8500 $290 + tax = $333
Tbird 1.3ghz $154.61 + tax = $177

Now I have a few questions about my timing...with the GF4 non-mx's coming up will all vidcard prices drop signifigantly or should I just go for it now?...Also do you think this is a worthwile upgrade or should I just drop that cash on a console system and wait then buy a new box next year?

Thanks...

hmm....it hasn't hit mainstream here yet (isn't showing up in online venders at all)

Go for a GF3. Will be less than the Radeon and give you better results. That T-Bird 1.3 price is a bit high. Check out Ebay for one. Should be around 80 USD.

Re: My Upgrade....

Originally posted by eof
Radeon 8500 $290 + tax = $333
Tbird 1.3ghz $154.61 + tax = $177

Your KT7 will take up to an Athy 1.4GHz/200FSB
I opted for the 1.2 because the price was right @ the time.

3DS PriceGrabber
http://www.3dspotlight.com/prices.shtml
Athlon Thunderbird - 1.4 GHz 200MHz/256K - OEM $111.83
Athlon Thunderbird - 1300 MHz 200MHz/256K - OEM $92.75
Athlon Thunderbird - 1200 MHz 200MHz/256k - OEM $88.99

I'd hold off on the vid-card. Consoles...... naw. Buy some stock! Intel went up today.

I would also go for the ATI. Maybe it's not top now, but there is some real potential in it. Now ATI is finally working on drivers, things are worth their while.

Try finding a 1.4 as Unc suggested and find a lower price.

You can also check www.pricewatch.com if you are looking to save some cash. You will just have to pick through all the really cheap ones and make sure that the company checks them. As most of them are refurbished. But it is at least worth a shot. I would also suggest getting the ATI card. I have an old one, but have heard nothing but good things about the new 8500.

ello ello =),

With my experience . . . i have never bought anything online . . . because i always find "better solutions" ... believe it or not . . . but i seem to find better deals when buying in retailer stores . . .

around the local area here ... there a many PC shops . . . it is very competitive market . . . and with some time researching you can find even better deals retailer . . . i always believe that retailer is faster, sometimes better deals, and you can see the product in which you are buying . . . this time its PC products . . . and when it comes to PC products you have to be very careful on the parts you put in. . .

Lets look at comparison:

BUYING RETAILER:
- you see the actual product =)
- ask questions directly . . . in person/on phone/instant msg =)
- do some research . . . and find good deals =)
- do not have to pay shipping and handeling =)
- safer i believe yes =)
- have to pay tax . . . =(

BUYING ONLINE:
- more variaty of parts =)
- ask questions via e-mail =))
- most likely . . . better details =)
- no look at part physically =(
- no pay tax =)
- have to pay shipping and handling . . . =(

the list can go on forever . . .
but in my experience . . . i found better details in retailer stores . . .

well . . . they were on SPECIAL =)

it all comes down to the type of person you are =)

GOOD LUCK

EDIT: in my opinion . . . looking at reviews are good . . . because feedback on certain parts is very helpful . . . it all comes down to its all good . . . because nowadays you find that parts are competitive yet have lots of value in them . . . even the highest highend products =)

of course the best of the best is the best =) the parts you have right now look good . . . GOOD LUCK = to me . . . i don't see why . . . but for me . . . you have a pretty good round up computer =)

Geforce4 Ti 4200?

The Geforce Ti 4200 is also a consideration, but it isnt due to be released for a few weeks. It will be about $199US. Not only will it help to drive down prices on the Geforce 3 and lower cards, but its a great card in its own right.

yea...thats kinda what I am waiting on....=)

All the retailers around here are super expensive and do not carry this kinda stuff usually. Staples is about as cheap as local gets for me....and Staples is usually $50+ more for vid cards and such...good luck picking up Tbird at staples too...=)

ello ello =),

i always believed that buying from big companies like staples, futureshop, and compusmart . . . are the places you will expect to find more expensive deals because those stores usually sell retailer packaging items. If you do not mind . . . OEM packaging im sure everyone knows is much more less expensive because it comes with the bare part . . . i find it all working good . . .

im not saying that big companies don't have great deals . . . but make sure you check small computer stores . . . that sell brandname oem products =)

in some occasions . . . you will find that big companies will have good deals . . . and thats when you should go and buy . . .

GOOD LUCK =)

Go Radeon 8500 as now ATi have worked out how to make decent drivers it can whoop any GF3+GF4MX's and GF4Ti4600's are too expensive to even consider.

The new Radeon 8800 should also be pretty good - hopefully it will whoop the GF4's.

Personally I'm kind of partial to pricewatch myself. I used that site to get all the parts to build my computer, and didn't have issues or problems with any company. And, my computer booted just fine the first time after it was built. It was the first computer I had ever built myself too :)

I've had bad experiences with (edit: Oops, I meant newegg :eek:). They have awful technical support.
Although I may have gotten a bad rap, they have good prices, and as uncleel said their shipping prices are excellent. Their selection isn't the best, but they're still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back