NAS with eSATA for takehome backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.jacko

Hi all,

i'm looking for a NAS solution for our business with an eSATA port.
The NAS will backup all our data, then hopefully i'll attach an eSATA external drive to it and again back all the data onto that, so i can remove the eSATA drive from the site.

Our network consists of 5 servers and about 30 users daily.
The NAS i've been looking at is this one:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=14&subcat=707

questions
1. If this NAS was used to actually house our data would throughput suffer (as there may be up to 30 people connecting to it daily) as opposed to having the data actually residing on shares on the servers hdd's?
2. If throughput would suffer, maybe i could just use the NAS to backup all data overnight. And have the eSATA external drive backup from the NAS, which i could then disconnect and take home with me, for secure off-site backup.

Any of this make sense?
Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks

I realize you want some high expertise reply with lots of volume

I'm just going to cut to the chase and say, option #2

Why, too obvious, I don't like sharing external drives everywhere, especially when the network is so large (with backup Servers)

And the backup process to eSata, should be from one place (on the network, to one folder on the eSata)

That way, you have 2 backups (1 onsite, 1 offsite)

Yeah, i'm kinda with you there. Currently we have data spread across all the servers So a global backup to the NAS, which in turn then backs up, at hopefully a higher speed to ther esata, which then gets taken offsite sounds the better option to me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back