NASA engineers identify root of Voyager 1 malfunction

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Voyager I is one of two craft operating in interstellar space – the other being its twin, Voyager 2, which left Earth 16 days before Voyager 1 back in 1977. According to NASA, Voyager I is the most distant human-made object ever. As of January 2024, the craft was about 15 billion miles from Earth and was moving at a velocity of about 38,000 mph relative to the Sun.

Back in November, NASA's Voyager 1 space probe lost its ability to send back telemetry data to flight engineers here on Earth. Without it, the probe and the agency in charge of it are essentially flying blind.

In February, NASA said the problem was related to the craft's Flight Data Subsystems (FDS), which is responsible for gathering data from each of the probe's science instruments and bundling it into a neat package for transmission back to Earth. Once grouped, the package of data is passed along to the telemetry modulation unit and a radio transmitter for the long journey home.

The team thought it might be dealing with an issue caused by corrupted memory within the FDS. To test the theory, NASA sent a "poke" command that prompted Voyager I to beam back a readout of the FDS memory. Armed with this data, NASA was able to determine that approximately three percent of the FDS memory is corrupted and is the root cause of Voyager's issues.

NASA said in a recent update that team members suspect a single chip is faulty, although engineers aren't sure what caused it to go bad. One possibility is that it was struck by an "energetic particle" from space. Optionally, the chip may have simply worn out after 46 years of service.

The good news is that engineers are optimistic that they will be able to find a way to bypass the faulty memory and get the FDS back up and running normally, thus allowing the probe to resume sending science and engineering data back to Earth. It could take weeks or even months, however, NASA warned.

Permalink to story:

I continue to marvel at the engineering behind the Voyager probes. It’s amazing to me that NASA has been able to remotely diagnose this issue on hardware that is almost 50 years old, over 15 billion miles from Earth, and that they may actually be able to work around this.

For those interested, here’s a link to realtime stats on the Voyager probes:

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status/

I continue to marvel at the engineering behind the Voyager probes. It’s amazing to me that NASA has been able to remotely diagnose this issue on hardware that is almost 50 years old, over 15 billion miles from Earth, and that they may actually be able to work around this.

For those interested, here’s a link to realtime stats on the Voyager probes:

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status/
No Kidding! For something this "old" (sorry, I'm older) and far away it's amazing they can do anything with it at all.

I truly hope they can keep communicating with this craft and stay in contact. To my knowledge, there is nothing else in its footsteps, and I will be long gone before another reaches this milestone.

Isn't it old enough to be using core memory, rather than a chip of some sort?
Magnetic core memory ran from the mid 1950's to the mid 1970's. My brother has a fantastic old jukebox that uses magnetic core memory to remember the tracks to be played. It needs quite a bit of upkeep though. The first memory chips came out around 1970 and held 1K. The first computer I ever programmed was an Acorn System 1 in the late 1970's and it had a 1K RAM chip. At the time it felt like quite a lot as you needed to program in machine code (assembly code was for weaklings). RAM capacity seemed to accelerate when home computers started to use monitors and graphic games became a thing. Do I sound old?

WOW I was 8yrs old when this craft took flight I still remember watching news footage on our B&W TV about it what was amazing tech back then still proves it's capable today thanks to some very brainy techs at NASA I hope it makes it to the BIG 50

Back