Necessary to upgrade from 4 to 8GB RAM?

lopdog

I'm thinking about adding 4 (or 6) Gb memory to my computer (see system specs) for a total of 8 (or 12)Gb, since memory is so cheap nowadays.

But I've read a few articles about there not being any noticeable difference in speeds with more than 4Gb RAM, does anyone have any personal experience with this?

It all depends on what type of work you do with your computer. If you're just playing games and consuming media then you won't see any performance increase unless you do some heavy multitasking. If you do lots of content creation then you'll potentially see a large increase in performance.

Ok, I do a lot of work with Adobe CS5 and Autocad, so I guess it's worth the upgrade. I'm actually considering upgrade my hdd to SSD too, since I've also heard good things about that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to see any worthwhile performance increase in the software your using you would need to invest in a SSD large enough to house Windows, all its associated third part software/updates, and have enough space left to install the software you use with enough space left after that to keep the files your working on. Its something to bear in mind as although the whole system will see a performance increase using an SSD, if the files your working on are stored on a mechanical disk you'll not see any noticeable increase in performance.

8GB would also only be worthwhile if you find you are running low on RAM during application usage as well. But given the super low prices of 8GB kits these days it makes sense to just order it. More RAM can't hurt the system.

Back