Need a good first time user linux

Hey guys.
So I am trying to get my feet wet with Linux. However, I have had bad luck with sabayan (I was told it was a good one for first time users, however after the instilation or what said to be a gnome version I got a black screen. So I tried another version and I am stuck in the command line only sort of thing. I cant get any where with it. )

So getting to the point. I am going to try DSL, but I want to know your guys' suggestions.

What I am looking for is sort of a plug and play type. Meaning I wont have to fight with command lines just to attempt to get a graphical interface. I want it so I just install and boom desktop.

Prefferably something lower on the required experience level. (nothing "bleeding edge" - which I am assuming means it really advanced tools.

Something smaller on resources. I switched to linux because windows took up way too many resources.

So I guess throw me your distros XD

---edit---
Oh and if it has an FTP sort of download page, Tell me which link I need to use... I always feel like im gonna grab the wrong link, or not all of what I need....

You can try Knoppix and buy the CD or download and burn one.

A major advantage is booting from a CD will give you Linux GUI w/o an install to your HD - - try before you install :)

Hi , I have run the 'Mint' distro for the last couple of years on my spare pc.
It's similar to XP in look and start menu, and does install with many programs you would actually use, e.g. Firefox.
These distros set up to your pc's hardware as they install, correct drivers, screen res etc, so not much to worry about there.
To see them running, look on Youtube for Linux Mint reviews, there are many to choose from.
Otherwise Ubuntu 11 or 12 are very stable and reliable, both these are good to use on slightly older pc's too, which is why I do that.
I get my software from the cover DVD's on the Linux magazines, not free but worth the cost.

Im looking for some thing open source and free, another reason im switching to linux. Ill look into knoppix and see if I can just do a usb drive.

Hi Lusha, You will need the free program 'Unetbootin' to make a bootable USB version of your Linux distro.
I install mine by running the Linux DVD, as 'Live', then when it gets to the desktop, there is an icon to click, which starts the install to your hard drive.
I don't install mine as a dual boot with Windows, I fitted a spare hard drive, (about 20GB) to try it out, it works well.
The Linux magazines are about £5 and you are getting the complete working operating system on DVD, sometimes more than one, that's good value, I think.
To download Linux, it will be about 700MB, that's a lot of downloading, I would rather buy the magazine with DVD, I buy about 2 in a year.

Mike I am currently using unetbootin, I was looking for distro reccomendations. Please dont message me right now, I am very stressed. my cat got out and shes my baby girl .

^ is one of the oddest (non spam) things I've seen publicly posted on TS in all my years here.

If you are referring to an email notification you got, that is because you had the box checked to receive email notifications when someone replies. Otherwise maybe mike just has a thing for Lushas and was sending you private messages.

Zorin OS 6 is easy on resources, and easy on the brain too. It comes ready to use including 3 desktop environments for you to choose from, Windows7,XP,or Gnome2.

GoodLuck
Tragic

Having tried quite a few Linux distros, I would say to go with 'Mint' if changing from Windows, or 'Lite', and really either would be a good choice. Ubuntu is a solid choice no doubt, it's not very much like Windows and would take more learning right from the start.

I am a XP Pro user, and have been for a long time. Couple years ago I started collecting Linux CDs from OSDisc.com, trying to find a distro that was actually usable. 20 CDs later, I can tell you each one had problems. Either they required fussing with to get them to connect to the internet, required fussing with afterwards, refused to do what I wanted (like play movies from the various putlocker sites) no matter how much fussing, etc. Last month I bought an MX Linux 17.1 CD to add to my collection. I finally quit procrastinating and gave it a test drive last week in LiveCD mode. It connected to the internet automatically, and did everything I wanted it to do. I have used it every day since, and it has caused me zero grief. I have decided to use it to teach myself Linux, and will have it installed on my secondary HDD next month. I'd advise you to look into the video reviews of MX Linux 17.1 on YouTube.

I'm not a video freak, especially on Linux, but Knoppix has always run correction and fully functional, including Print/File Sharing (in Linux it's call SMB) to other architectures(Mac & Windows).

I am a XP Pro user, and have been for a long time. Couple years ago I started collecting Linux CDs from OSDisc.com, trying to find a distro that was actually usable. 20 CDs later, I can tell you each one had problems. Either they required fussing with to get them to connect to the internet, required fussing with afterwards, refused to do what I wanted (like play movies from the various putlocker sites) no matter how much fussing, etc. Last month I bought an MX Linux 17.1 CD to add to my collection. I finally quit procrastinating and gave it a test drive last week in LiveCD mode. It connected to the internet automatically, and did everything I wanted it to do. I have used it every day since, and it has caused me zero grief. I have decided to use it to teach myself Linux, and will have it installed on my secondary HDD next month. I'd advise you to look into the video reviews of MX Linux 17.1 on YouTube.
MX Linux 17.1 Rocks it is the best out there.

Back