TechSpot

Need a motherboard

By steelth
Jan 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I'm thinking of building a computer around a AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core , and i would like to find a good motherboard for under 100 dollars that you think would be the best.Atx or microAtx ,thanx for your help

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Well, to make sure that a less then $100.00 motherboard doesn't turn into a motherboard plus memory I'd make sure that whatever you buy also supports your memory. An ATX motherboard is usually faster than a mATX board and really depends on what size case you have and other factors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521

This should be a decent ATX motherboard. Just make sure it works with the memory I have assumed you already have.

3. steelth

steelth TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 156

no memory yet so it doesn't matter thx and i have a full size case which is way over kill for what i do but i thought i was a gamer at 1 time,lol

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

That is really pushing it... to get a good quality current technology motherboard for $100 or less... Also, so many other things come into play... return rights... returns without a 15% re-shelfing fee.
    Better to get a board that has been tested in the marketplace for 100 days... that is where the 100 value comes into play.

5. dikbozo

dikbozo TS Enthusiast Posts: 106

As the 925 is compatible with AM2+, AM3 and AM3+ sockets and will work fine with whatever RAM your chosen board supports, the range of available boards is quite large. Under $100 is not very difficult to find, I would recommend either Giga-byte or ASUS as first considerations. I personally use ASUS but have helped others with GB. Both have fine feature rich offerings in a wide variety of configurations.

Newegg allows for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=am3&Page=1&PageSize=20

It is a listing based on AM3 by user rating for between $75 and $100.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.