Need a SPECIAL Hardware Monitor Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

Hi,
I need a hardware monitor software that can alert me or can take actions(such as shutting down the PC) when the CPU reaches a temperature defined by me. I mean I will set a temperature like 60C at which the program will alert me of high temp. (even if i m playing a game but running this software in background). Or it will take some certain actions at the specified temperature like shutting the PC down etc.etc.

If you have any info. regarding such kinds of softwares then please reply with the software name(s) or website link(s) here.

I need such kind of software coz i have just OCed my Pent D 2.8 to 3.0 Ghz with stock fans. So, i m afraid of burning my CPU. And also i dont wanna keep staring at Speedfan temps continuosly. IDLE temp after OCing is 44C.

thehacker said:
Hi,
I need a hardware monitor software that can alert me or can take actions(such as shutting down the PC) when the CPU reaches a temperature defined by me. I mean I will set a temperature like 60C at which the program will alert me of high temp. (even if i m playing a game but running this software in background). Or it will take some certain actions at the specified temperature like shutting the PC down etc.etc.

If you have any info. regarding such kinds of softwares then please reply with the software name(s) or website link(s) here.

I need such kind of software coz i have just OCed my Pent D 2.8 to 3.0 Ghz with stock fans. So, i m afraid of burning my CPU. And also i dont wanna keep staring at Speedfan temps continuosly. IDLE temp after OCing is 44C.
Is there no any such softwares??? atleast reply dat.....

first, chill out, its the weekend and people have better things to do that sit at their pc at stupid o'clock answering every single question.

Ok, to answer your question, your bios will do what you need.
Just enable the cpu shutdown alarm. It should give you options of sounding an audible alarm at a custom set temp, and indeed shutting the system down if it reaches a higher custom set temp.

Hope it helps.

I don't know of any software applications that will shut the PC down, but software is often inaccurate when it comes to diaplaying temps & voltage, so i don't think thats the right way to do it anyways.

if your motherboard allows you to overclock, then you should be able to set alarm and shutdown thresholds in your BIOS (in the harware monitor, or PC health window). your BIOS will be more accurate than any software program so that is a better/safer way.

you should also consider a physical hardware monitor with using temp probes. with this method you get instant [and more accurate] temp readings that you can view all the time without using up CPU/memory resources.

EDIT: k.jacko beat me to the BIOS method, but now you have a second opinion... BONUS :giddy:

:wave:

There's Good, and Bad News.....

Intel's "Intel Desktop Utilities", does in point of fact have settable alarms for fan stoppage, processor overheating, and more.
The bad news is that since you mentioned "overclocking", it's fair to say you probably don't have an Intel board.
I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

i don't think i've ever come across a mobo that DOESN'T have a settable temp alarm. Are you sure you're looking in the right place?
Is it a brand built pc with maybe a locked down bios?

ya i m sure...there is no such option. my mobo is of Mercury company. and my PC is not a branded one. I definitely dont have a intel board. will that intel desktop utility work on my comp?? I have an intel processor.

if you have xp as os then log on as administrator then go to control panel there you have option of performance and maintance select it under which you have option of administrative tools click to open it there you have option performance open it you will see counters and alerts on left side of your screen on the alert right click you will get option to create a alert select new alert you will be prompted to give name to it give some name then it will prompt for settings in the setting option you can choose various counters which will provide you with alerts related to processor time , harddisk space , network bandwidth set the required alerts and it will alert you when the thresh hold levels are reached

thehacker said:
but my BIOS has no such features. :(( wat to do now??
I find it hard to believe that your motherboard has overclocking features but no temp monitor and alarm/shutdown settings. what is the exact model of your motherboard?

EDIT: after re-reading your original post, it appears that you have only overclocked your CPU by a mere 200MHz. this leads me to believe that you overclocked through a software program, in which case you could never overclock it high enough to have temp problems. on a Pentium-D you wouldn't even notice a 200MHz overclock, and I doubt it would even run a single degree hotter as a result.

you don't need to worry about temps unless you start overclocking to a much more significant speed, which will require a motherboard with BIOS overclocking options/settings. until then you should just put it back to stock speed because the only thing you'll get out of software overclocking is an unstable system.

KingCody said:
I find it hard to believe that your motherboard has overclocking features but no temp monitor and alarm/shutdown settings. what is the exact model of your motherboard?

EDIT: after re-reading your original post, it appears that you have only overclocked your CPU by a mere 200MHz. this leads me to believe that you overclocked through a software program, in which case you could never overclock it high enough to have temp programs. on a Pentium-D you wouldn't even notice a 200MHz overclock, and I doubt it would even run a single degree hotter as a result.

you don't need to worry about temps unless you start overclocking to a much more significant speed, which will require a motherboard with BIOS overclocking options/settings. until then you should just put it back to stock speed because the only thing you'll get out of software overclocking is an unstable system.

thanks for ur reply. My mobo is PVM7 Pro from Mercury. There is an overclocking option in BIOS where i can change fsb from initial 200 mhz to 300 mhz. when i enable cpu overclocking function the fsb automat. changes to 300. so my proc is 2.8. therefore, multiplier must be 14. so now if my fsb after OCing automatically becomes 300 then after opeing my comp it shud show 14x300=4.2 ghz but it shows only 3.15 Ghz.
But I want to OC my procesor JUST to 3.0 Ghz. Then Should I need to worry about temps specially while palying games...becoz at 3.0 my IDLE temp is 44 C.

thehacker said:
But I want to OC my procesor JUST to 3.0 Ghz
why??? a 200MHz overclock is nothing... especially on a Pentium-D

2.8GHz and 3.0GHz are practically the same speed. it will not give you a noticable performance boost, it will not make your games run any faster/better, and it will not cause your CPU to overheat.

44°C is normal for a Pentium4/D on aircooling and is no cause for concern.

you will never be able to overclock to any noticable amount with that mothebroard. My advice is to leave your CPU settings alone until you have a good motherboard capable of significant overclocking (which requires many more settings than just FSB speed).

thanks.....but wat is the threshold IDLE temp above which if my IDLE temp goes i shudnot overclock?? any rough estimate. Atmospheric temp here is 30-35 degree C.

KingCody said:
44°C is normal for a Pentium4/D on aircooling and is no cause for concern.

He's quoting idle temps. And those are load temps, its not "normal", its way too cold.

CMH said:
He's quoting idle temps. And those are load temps, its not "normal", its way too cold.
huh? :confused:

where are you getting load temps from? he never said what his load temps were. the 44°C was his idle temp (which is normal for a hot running pentium-D).

:rolleyes:

I forgot an "if".

"And IF those are load temps, its not "normal", its way too cold."

Sorry about that.

I didn't comment on idle temps, since I've never really looked into idle temps. They're usually not a cause of concern, until load temps are really out of whack :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back